Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Barn Block >

Barn Block

Barn Block

Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
That is so fun. We have a big airplane hanger and my hubby said he'd put a block up if I did one. Are there how to directions somewhere? Or could you give me directions, such as type of paint and what did you paint it on? I'd appreciate your knowledge and can't wait to see a pic of it hanging.
Sheri: I thought the block was super easy. There are some directions on the internet--Just google search and you'll see. What we did was this: The DH got some marine-quality plywood--two pieces that were each 8 feet by four feet in size. He screwed them together. I used a couple of coats of good primer and then drew my lines for the block I was making. I even noted where I wanted the colors so I wouldn't make mistakes with color placement. You also notice that I chose a very graphic block with not alot of lines--we wanted a "showy" block not one that was not noticeable from the road. Then I just used indoor paint on is. I figured I'd be using several coats of a non-yellowing polyurothane to seal the whole deal so it really didn't matter what kind of paint I used to get it done. If I can find a poly that is oil based that I can use on top of non-oil paint I will--otherwise I'll just use many coats of poly on both the back and the front of the block before they hang it from the barn. That's it. Very simple and fun to do. I encourage you to do one!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 AM

Very cool!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Love those barn quilts.