Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bernina (Grace) quilt frame with Viking Sapphire >

Bernina (Grace) quilt frame with Viking Sapphire

Bernina (Grace) quilt frame with Viking Sapphire

Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM

I posted a few weeks ago asking about the Bernina quilt frame... well, I bought it! Some people have reported some problems with them, but I am very very happy. No more spray basting of quilts before FMQ. No more tired arms from moving a heavy queen quilt while FMQ. And especially, no repeat of my recent wrinkled-batting disaster.

The frame is sturdy, well constructed, and parts are readily available. Don't try to assemble without instructions, though!

The Viking Sapphire is a great computerized machine with a 10" throat. I got it a few years ago especially for FMQ. With the Grace frame, however, there is a problem - the Grace speed control and the Grace stitch regulator are not compatible with the Sapphire. I did 3 small quilts with the control on the floor, under my arm, and other very awkward places ... I was pricing various other machines (9" throat) ... then I turned over the foot control and yanked out the rheostat. With a single cable tie, it attaches as a thumb control just above the handle. See picture.

An added bonus to the Bernina/Grace frame - the storage shelf underneath is just the right height for toddler play time.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236711.jpe   attachment-236712.jpe   attachment-236713.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Google Goddess

Congratulations!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I just sent for the Gace Frame catalog. I can't afford the full blown machines like Gammels and such. This was within my price range and I was wondering if there was someone who owned one that I could chat with about it. Does it move smoothly?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM

More details -

All the work is done standing up.... I like it this way, and it is very "kid proof".
FMQ goes faster, I am not sure how much faster though.
At the highest speed, the machine shakes. Do they all do this? Any advice appreciated.
I have slightly better control seated with the fabric hand held. I have the machine up on blocks to get my face a little closer to the fabric, but still need more practice or something.

Also, I sewed over a pin and the needle did not break. :-)

pin sewn onto quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236724[/ATTACH]

reverse of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236725[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236718.jpe   attachment-236719.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Sounds like you got it figured out! You will have a lot of fun!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Poosterman ... The grace frame is so smooth! I "test drove" a longarm ($15,000) at a recent quilt event. The longarm is smooth BUT the sewing machine is pretty heavy and has a lot of momentum... could take lots of getting use to and practice. The Grace frame is a huge step up from hand held FMQ.. and cost is well under $1000.

I got my frame used, BTW, and I feel that used would be the way to go on these. Check craigslist. If you have a choice, the metal Grace frames are probably better for the long term.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info, very helpful!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 PM

I am so envious! You will do well with this. Don;t forget to show us your projects!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 AM

My machine use to bounce alot. I found that it was sitting on an uneven floor. When I moved it to another location, the bouncing stopped. you might check to see if it is level????
Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1000projects
... then I turned over the foot control and yanked out the rheostat. With a single cable tie, it attaches as a thumb control just above the handle. See picture.
I did that too - sort of. I was able to buy just that part from my dealer's repair man and now have it permanently mounted to my frame. I just move the machine when FMQing.