Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Binding idea request

Binding idea request

This quilt belongs to a friend of mine. It's OLD. She had it quilted not long ago. The narrow yellow borders and the wide green border was added by the quilter. She asked if I would put on a binding to finish it. Not a problem. However, I'm a little stumped as to what color/colored design would look best to add to an old quilt.
    One idea is the white/green flowers image shown....but I think the white might be to modern for an old quilt. The green is a pretty close match to the border that was added.
    Oh...and the yellow backing was added by the quilter (which wasn't old fabric either)

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Tracy
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tracy_Lit5; 02-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    The answer is no, unless you ask.

It's a great quilt! I inherited a scrappy lemoyne star quilt top from my Mom, who inherited it from her Mom 40 years ago. My Grandmother probably made it around 1940, so it was old, too. The green in the quilt looks like the same color, and it was the background fabric, so there was a lot of it. It was a challenge finding a fabric that worked well with that green for backing and binding. I finally found a pastel green/blue/off-white plaid that worked perfectly.

I'm "color challenged" so my advice on whether the green flowers will work or not is pretty much useless. (My DH had final say on the binding for my Grandmothers quilt.) I think I would ask if there is any more of the backing fabric or the green border fabric available, and, if so, use one of them for the binding.

Blog Entries
    I would go either with the same green as the border or the yellow on the smaller border.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I would go either with the same green as the border or the yellow on the smaller border.
    Exactly what I was thinking too. If you can't match the yellow print of the narrow border, use a yellow solid that compliments it. I lean toward using the same green as the wide border though to not detract from the quilt.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Green fabric used on the border is not available. I need to use something else. I'm a little hesitant on using the same yellow on the backing to use as the border. And...the 2 yellows on the inner border are unavailable too (they are not solid, but a faint print to them)
    The answer is no, unless you ask.

Senior Member craftygal63@yahoo.com's Avatar
    I like the yellow best! Beautifully done!

I would go with the yellow as in the small border

I suggest taking it to the fabric store with you and try to fine a small yellow print that either matches the backing and borders or compliments them. Yellow would really set off the quilt in my humble opinion.

Maybe fabric that has a yellow and green stripe, or a print that has alot of yellow and green but some other colors in the quilt body.
    Last edited by Lori S; 02-11-2013 at 07:13 AM.

I think I would go with a yellow that looks good with the small yellow inner border. I also think a green and yellow stripe if you can find one would be a great choice. If you have a shop nearby that carries 30's fabrics (Aunt Gracie type) you might take it in there and see what you can find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast