Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Birth Of Another T-Shirt Quilt continued >

The Birth Of Another T-Shirt Quilt continued

The Birth Of Another T-Shirt Quilt continued

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt
I have collected over 75 hockey t-shirts from when my kids used to play...now i just have to find time to make them into a quilt...
So true Kimkankwilt...I saved son's shirts for over 29 years while we lived in same house. Then when we moved, I found them stuffed really deep in basement shelving. By the time I settled into new home, retired and became bored, I returned to sewing and became a quilter. His t-shirt quilt was one of the very first I made and I did everything wrong, i.e. wrong fusibles and too heavy fabric for sashing. Then when it was quilted, threads kept breaking because glue on fusing stuck to needle, resulting in needle having to be milked down frequently. lol

You said you had multiple shirts so you should be able to have a good selection to make a uniform quilt. Example is a wall hanging I made where the shirts all had a white background. It really does help.

Wall hanging mentioned in first paragraph of this thread.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159758[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159753.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM

This is terrific. Thank you for posting. I will be starting my first Tee Shirt quilt soon (need all the help I can get lol) and will be anxiously watching your progress.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

That's really nice...and I'll probably have to wait until I'm retired before I find time.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM

Updating: Blocks have all been pieced together with sashing. Here are a few blocks that I joined together so more t-shirts were used thus creating more memories.

Rick-Rack was inserted under name to add texture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160987[/ATTACH]

Front-Back of t-shirt was joined to make one block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160989[/ATTACH]

Machine Embroidery upon cotton biased fabric helped join these two pieces.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160991[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160982.jpe   attachment-160984.jpe   attachment-160986.jpe  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Not sure if anyone "out there" in computerland is still watching my progress but just in case, here is an update. The original plan was just a little larger than 40x60 and the end result looks more like 60x70! Yipes, I will have trouble stuffing and huffing through this quilt. Anyway, I took it to my long armer to ask that he make a single decorative stitch through the center of lattice work of t-shirts. This way, he will do the big stretching and basting of major portion of quilt. When I get it back (sad face here, 3 weeks) I will attach the half-square triangles and do my own free motion quilting within the blocks.

Should have taken it up a week ago because making all those half-square triangles took me a long time and now I have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168726.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Took about five weeks to get the quilt back from long armer because his machine broke down and I had three large quilts ahead of mine. But it only cost me $40 and well worth every penny because those registration lines were done as a decorative stitch throughout the entire sashing in quilt. See Photo #1. The next photo #2 is how I have done the edges.

While the quilt was gone, I started stitching scraps together for a pillow and boy was I glad I did because mother of teenager called wanting to know if it were too late to add her high school sports letters. Well it was for the quilt but not the pillow. Photo #3 shows the squares from all t-shirt colors except the red one which I returned to her earlier. More photos coming as I progress. Thank you for keeping up with me this long, long winter. Would you believe another snow storm this morning. Yuck, I want spring, even with all the allergies!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169717.jpe   attachment-169732.jpe   attachment-169733.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing! This is no ordinary nor easy tshirt quilt. Looks fabulous, but seems much more difficult than a "traditional" quilt. There's a current thread about a quilter being asked to make two tshirt quilts, one for April 18, another for May 18th. I don't think most folk realize the work that goes into these! Yours are great, hope they are properly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Great job with the t shirts, not had the nerve to do one of these yet!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Oh no - I goofed!
I got the sport letters appliques to the pillow case top and I just thought a little touch ironing was in order. You guessed it...........I accidentally hit the big B letter and melted the fibers! Any ideas anyone? Maybe permanent Sharpie in purple or just fess up to owner and offer to buy another letter, which is probably what I will do even if I do fix it a bit. I have nothing to applique over the letter and that probably would look goofy anyway. Sad face here!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171678.jpe  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Not sure if anyone is watching this link anymore or not but at least the quilt got finished and the young grad is very happy with her memory quilt. Below are the final step photos.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-207777.jpe   attachment-207778.jpe