Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth it or Bind it??

Birth it or Bind it??

I finished this wall hanging, Sundial by Cheryl Phillips and I'm at a loss at to how to finish it.
    It measures 47" across. Is it too large to try "birthing it"? Will I get lots of lumps when quilting it? Any suggestions on how to do this method without lots of lumps?
    If I bind it, I'm not sure how to do all the small angles. Do you do them the same as corners when doing ordinary binding? Suggestions please!
    I could also finish it out as a square wall hanging and just sandiwich and quilt and bind but I really like the decagon shape and would like to keep that.
    Thanks so much for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    I pray for peace today and hope I don't have to tomorrow.

When I was accused of living in a fantasy world I almost fell off my unicorn.

I have no idea on the quilting. It is beautiful!!!!!

that is beautiful~ I'm like Mighty I'm not sure but I would try and bind it the regular way?
    I Love ALL kinds of CrAfTs

Power Poster
    It is beautiful! I don't like the look of the birthing method after I try to quilt it. I can never get my back smooth and end up with puckers. I would bind it. You can look at http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com for her tutorial on binding odd angles for some pointers.

Be proud of yourself. That's a beauty for sure. I'm with the other's - I would bind it. Good luck on all those turns tho.
    I love that pattern.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

Blog Entries
    i would bind it, as well. it's really beautiful!
    Nancy in western NY

No to birthing - you'd never get those angles to lay right IMHO. What will you use for backing? Another option is to choose a backing that would make a good binding and bring the backing over to bind. You still have to fold all those angles and they're tricky - but it's possible. Here's an octagon that has the backing brought over:

Hexagon table topper - cute and ... not too hard
    (I know it's an octagon and not a hexagon, but the tute I used called it that and so did I.)
    So many quilts, so little time.

I would quilt it and then bind it. It is not hard to do the strange angles when binding. If you need help with figuring that out, let me know. You want it to be flat when completed, so birthing is risky

i too would quilt & bind it- those angles are not difficult- in fact easier than 90-degree corners. it is beautiful- & birthing it would (take away) from that (in my opinion)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt-I would use bias binding, it will stretch easier around those corners. Not to sound stupid, but what is "birthing"? I haven 't heard that term before.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast