Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Birth of a quilt >

Birth of a quilt

Birth of a quilt

Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 AM

Beautiful blocks, can't wait to see it completed.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Here's the block I made yesterday. The flower center is just a tiny bit too small
It's ever so pretty!
And what would your Mother say? ... she'd say leave it as is, and embellish it!

Applique work was often attached with blanket stitches around the edge. So what about doing that around the circle, and it'd soon cover that tiny sliver of a gap. Or other embroidery stitches too, could be used. And perhaps in some of the other blocks too?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks QuiltE, that's a great idea! I still need to attach the fused parts, I will look for some nice embroidery stitching so I can fill the gap! That's a whole new look at the quilt.
My Mom would say 'every handmade piece needs to have at least one mistake'
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Thanks QuiltE, that's a great idea! I still need to attach the fused parts, I will look for some nice embroidery stitching so I can fill the gap! That's a whole new look at the quilt.
My Mom would say 'every handmade piece needs to have at least one mistake'
I think some embroidery would be so fitting for that quilt. Not a lot ... just a dash of it here and there, so that it is somewhat of a surprise as to where and when you will find it! More exciting than when it;s expected in every block/
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Maybe only where there are applique flowers? Some kind of embellishment like embroidery or small beads or both. I still have small beads, I gave the bigger ones to the Day Care Centre
Embroidery before quilting but beads? After? I have no idea as I've never done that before. Or before and quilt around the beads?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM

what a wonder tribute to your MOM

you are doing such a nice job , the quilt blocks are lovely
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

QE came through with some great suggestions, as always.
Last night at a quilt guild presentation I met a Dutch quilter. She was visiting a family she had been a student exchange with 25 years ago. She brought along a quilt she made for her American family. I asked her if she was going to take a suitcase of fabric back to Eindhoven, she said "No..two of them!" Unfortunately didn't have much time to visit with her.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

OKSGlad ... hope you suggested that she take some fabric for our Anael too!

Anael ... the beadwork sounds lovely ... perhaps some crystal-like ones, to add some sparkle? I agree with you that you'd probably do the embroidery before quilting. Beads would be after, for sure, as they'd be in the way. Although, if you were handquilting, you may want to do both the embroidery and beadwork along with the quilting process. Keep in mind that I really don't know, and this is my "gut feelings" about this!

OKSGlad, what do you think?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I guess in keeping with a 30's tradition I would omit beading, but that's what I would do--I'm not a "bead" type person. The question for you Anael would be--Was Mom a bead person and would she put beads in a quilt for herself? But if you were to add beading I would do it after as QE suggests.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM

My mom hardly ever worked with beads, she did do all kind of things with ribbons and lace. I don't know if she would put beads in a quilt for herself, maybe in flowers for embellishment. She was a down to earth person, very practical and no nonsense. I think she would not put lace in a quilt because she would have thought she would have had to iron it. Embroidery: yes. I'm not a lace type person myself though I did make bobbin lace for years and I loved to do that. She always admired my bobbin lace. I started a table cloth for her but she passed away before I was finished. I put it with her in the coffin.