Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Block problems >

Block problems

Block problems

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 AM

As for the points not lining up, you can always 'cheat' a bit and use green colored fabric markers to fill it in and make the point match up. I've done that on a few quilts. Unless someone knows to look for it, they will not see it. Someone said something a while back on this board about a galloping horse. It refers to how quickly people look at a quilt. Most just zip on by, not wanting to pick apart everything that's wrong. There are others who have nothing better to do than tell you every last problem that they find. We call them the quilt police. Last I knew they weren't sworn in by anyone with authority. They have nothing better to do, than point out other's short comings. They clearly have enough issues of their own. Instead they should focus on fixing themselves first, rather than shoot down others. So, if you're happy with the general outcome of your blocks. You'll do fine.

Years ago, I made a very challenging block. All the sides looked wavy/wonky, so I didn't use it in my sampler quilt. When making one for my mom out of left overs, she requested the wonky one be placed in it. I tried to discourage it. It really did look bad on the sides. Guess what? Once in a quilt and stretched out, it looked fabulous! I was so afraid of non-perfection in my quilt, that I didn't include it and it looked amazing in hers! My point? You never know how it will look when stretched out. Even if a side is just a smidge longer than it should be, you'd be amazed at how far you can stretch the joining fabric to accommodate the longer side! Good luck! I look forward to seeing your finished quilt when done.

Oh, in order to make the seams stronger, usually the seams are ironed to one side or the other, not split like in sewing clothing. Seams usually are ironed to the darker fabric side. That way when butting seams up it is easier to pin them and get the feel.

Remember no one is perfect.

Last edited by orangeroom; 08-07-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I think she was asking how the blocks can be improved -

Did you square each of the HST (half square triangle) units before continuing? I've found that if each of my sub-units is as accurate as I can get them, it helps with the next step.

There are times that 'good enough' IS good enough. But if someone knows that 'better is possible' - why not encourage that?

I also know that - usually - one does get better and/or more knowledgeable with practice and experience.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM

How are you making the blocks that are what we call HSTs (Half Square Triangles). These are your green and roses blocks above. Are you cutting them as triangles first, then sewing? Are you putting 2 squares togetherand sewing once down the diagonal or twice (1/4 inch each side of the center diagonal)? They are the only blocks I can see you are having trouble with and that's no surprise for a beginning quilter. Tell us your technique and we can provide more help.

Last edited by paulswalia; 08-07-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
How are you making the blocks that are what we call HSTs (Half Square Triangles). These are your green and roses blocks above. Are you cutting them as triangles first, then sewing? Are you putting 2 squares togetherand sewing once down the diagonal or twice (1/4 inch each side of the center diagonal)? They are the only blocks I can see you are having trouble with and that's no surprise for a beginning quilter. Tell us your technique and we can provide more help.
I am using the method where you sew 1/4 inch away on both sides of the diagonal of two squares placed together. I checked the dimensions after cutting and they seemed acceptable, aside from some shortness in the length of some squares. Are there easier methods?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM

A few things to make sure of. 1) the measurement of your lines of sewing. If you draw them first, make sure you don't mark hard as you can stretch the fabric - you are marking on the bias. 2) If you don't draw them, make sure you know where your 1/4 is on your machine. Make a test block and measure - are the two lines one-half inch apart? 3) This method calls for you to cut the blocks finished size plus 7/8 - that's a hard measurement to get exactly right. I prefer to cut them finished size plus one full inch, then square up as mentioned above. AND when squaring up HSTs, make sure your 45 degree line on your ruler falls exactly on the seam to ensure that the seam goes right to the corner. I can see that some of your seams don't go exactly to the corners and this could be the result of any number of things, either cutting, sewing or pressing. Keep going - we all have been where you are!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If quilt inspectors come to your house and get that close, they better be the ones buying it or show them the door and don't let it hit them in the hiney on the way out.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I love your blocks. A bit of spray starch and an iron will help, and like someone else said 'don't sweat the small stuff'. Even seasoned quilters make small mistakes. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the 'board. We are anxious to see more of this quilt when it is finished.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 AM

My Janome 6600 is set to sew the 1/4" seam a little less than 1/4" Make yours narrower by about two threads and you will have great seams. Even though you may be measuring correctly, pressing the seams does take up fabric and makes the seams larger. Try it on a scrap piece to see how it works. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sofa View Post
I am using the method where you sew 1/4 inch away on both sides of the diagonal of two squares placed together. I checked the dimensions after cutting and they seemed acceptable, aside from some shortness in the length of some squares. Are there easier methods?
The only ways I can this method to work is to cut the squares 1 inch larger instead of the 7/8 inch larger than the finished size and trim down after sewing (usually it's just 'shavings' I take off)

OR to make VERY SCANT 1/4 inch seams when sewing the diagonals.

Otherwise I get skimpy units that are just a bit too small. I'd rather trim down than have undersized units.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 AM

We are always our own worst critics. This is your first quilt - with a directional print no less! - You will improve and learn lots along the way. Everyone has made suggestions for improvements and you will get better. Enjoy!
BTW - if those are the only "imperfections" you are doing wonderfully.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM

A quilter I know uses the following phrase about a quilt's imperfections: If you hung your quilt on the side of the barn, would a man galloping past on his horse notice the "mistake"? If not, don't fret.