Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Border question

Blog Entries
    As many of you may already know I am finishing this quilt for my sister who has Dementia---it's for her daughter.
    I only have so much material left but enough of the cream,so I have decided to put a wide cream border them a scrappy binding of all the colours
    Question is would a 5" cream border be too wide??

Not putting the coloured strips on
    Name:  Attachment-108609.jpe
Views: 69
Size:  76.9 KB

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean directly outside the darker blue? No, that should be just fine. And will leave room for more quilting. It looks great, btw. I love the Hidden Wells pattern. Good job!

Blog Entries
    GaiGai yes I do mean outside the dark blue---it's been a problem working with not enough material,it's been on the go too long for me to get any more material.
    Thank you

Have you tried letting us search for more of the gold and blue (the one w/ circles) that you have laid out as borders in the photo? They are so much more effective as outer borders than the cream would be. The cream would be fine but the gold and blue are gorgeous. We're really pretty good at finding 'older' fabrics around here ya know. ;) Want to give it a try? Do you have the selvege info from them? It's a beautiful top.

Blog Entries
    Ghostrider--yes I have tried but have no selvedges at all,and it must be about 6 years old we think,but thanks anyway

The cream would be my last choice for the border just because I don't really like light colored borders that much. Maybe you could find a fabric with some of those colors in it and use a totally different fabric for the border. Like a floral with the blue and yellow colors in it or a retro with those colors. If you use the cream could you maybe do some applique here and there in the colors? I am sure whatever you decide it is going to turn out very nice!

Oooo beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    A cream border would be beatiful :D:D:D
    This quilt is gorgeous!

Light colors advance and dark colors recede, so a pale border will make the center recede and the border will be prominant. Just something to consider.

Blog Entries
    Darker colors do not show dirt as quickly. If the quilt will be loved & handled a lot that might be a consideration.