Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me how old this quilt might be?

Quote Originally Posted by jean1941
    Can anyone tell me why this site is not working like it did up until a few days ago
    I'm not having any problems with the site at all. ?

Hi grugirl!
    That would be great! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by frauhahn
    Hi grugirl!
    That would be great! Thanks!
    Any chance you could give us a few close up pics with maybe 4 pieces of cat fabrics in each one? That would be helpful. It does look a lot like feed sacks.

What a neat quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by frauhahn
    Hi Bev!
    Near as I can tell (I'm fairly new to quilting) it is hand-pieced and hand quilted, but machine stitched. The tabs are sewn into the binding and have machine stitching at the edges. The guy didn't know anything about it-said that the machine had been from his sister's husband's family. The house belonged to his sister, but he had to meet me there, so I'm wondering if the sister may have died-the house had a kind-of not-lived-in look to it.
    Guess I'm confused. Are you saying it IS hand-pieced and hand-quilted. What is machine stitched? The binding and the tabs into the binding?
    Keep in mind, some of us have UFOs and it could be that while the quilt itself is old, the person who received the sewing machine may have finished it by putting on the binding and tabs. My great grandmother left behind 6 hand-pieced tops and my mother inherited them, had them quilted and gave one to each of us great grandchildren. Years later someone who had bought a box at GGMs estate sale returned the items to DM. There were more blocks GGM had pieced together, so DM made a quilt for herself (her DM is now gone too).
    It sounds to me like you may have a quilt which is multi-generational. BUT, I am no expert and I would check with Historical Society, Antique Shops, maybe even LQS and Quilt Guilds might be more helpful/knowledgeable.

WOW!!! No matter its age, its a great quilt! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by jean1941
    Can anyone tell me why this site is not working like it did up until a few days ago
    No sure what you mean. Explain

I love those cats. They can come live with me any time. I can't help you on aging the quilt, but doesn't appear to be a really old quilt.

Well-it was definitely pieced together, and hand quilted-it may have been a ufo-I'm going to check with a historical society. Took pictures of individual blocks, but you really couldn't see much detail-Most of the material and the muslim looks pretty old, but I'm no expert. Showed my 81 year old dad and he said it did look like the material that grandma used from feed sacks-then waxed poetic about getting the baby chicks every year from the post office and needing to get lots of sacks of grain to feed them and how grandma used every bit of the material from the bags she picked out, and how she got her first electric sewing machine from Montgomery Wards and taught so many girls to sew on that machine as a 4-H leader. . . I have a UFO that definitely came from the 30s or 40s (I know where it came from). Never liked it enough to finish it off, though-maybe someday. . .

No clue, but it is just precious

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast