Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Can someone date these fabrics? >

Can someone date these fabrics?

Can someone date these fabrics?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 PM

I inherited 80 + Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks from my mother which she put together when she was 15 or 16. That would be 1929 or 1930 and several of your fabrics are very similar to the prints in her blocks. They are certainly of similar 'type'.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70717.jpe   attachment-70718.jpe   attachment-70719.jpe  
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by Candace
Wow, 30's? I was thinking maybe 30's but didn't want to jinx it. It was very cool going through the bag. I've also got 6 star blocks squared up and sashed that are now complete. I don't know what to do with the unfinished star blocks in the photo. I'm thinking about the easiest way to get them into a quilt...
Kaye Wood has a pattern that makes the star blocks and she has the instructions on how to put the other parts into these type star blocks. OR if you like to do appliqué you could appliqué them on to a solid. Whatever you do they will look great! Beautiful find. And, yes they are fabulous 30's.
I don't do hand applique, but if I could piece together the rest of the block, I'd do it. The finished star blocks are done in white and somewhat match these.

Yes, these feel old and look old. I've never seen repros that look exactly like these either. Some of the aging stains may come out when it's washed or maybe not. I think it adds character to the fabric. I've got about 30 more blocks that I've made to square up and then I'll try to put them all together somehow.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Some may be original but not all. I see a few that I have, that are repro's that were bought in the late 90's. You have some BEAUTIFUL fabric there! Those 30's are my very favorites. Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I inherited 80 + Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks from my mother which she put together when she was 15 or 16. That would be 1929 or 1930 and several of your fabrics are very similar to the prints in her blocks. They are certainly of similar 'type'.

Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful! Yes, the fabrics looks very similar. Do you know if they were feedsack fabrics?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Some may be original but not all. I see a few that I have, that are repro's that were bought in the late 90's. You have some BEAUTIFUL fabric there! Those 30's are my very favorites. Enjoy.
But don't the repros copy some fabrics? I think these are all the same age.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 PM

Wish they would reproduce that particuar shade of green Linda B. That is gorgeous.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM

I've never knowingly (is that a proper word?!) seen feedsack. They all felt like cotton although some were a little stiffer than others. Considering that a few of the hexagons were scraps of the same fabric pieced together to be big enough for the 2" hexagon, I would imagine they collected usable fabric from whatever source was available. Unfortunately, I wasn't interested in quilting until several years after my mother died so I was unable to ask her about the fabric.

Gramof6, that green is one of the reasons I decided to applique the blocks on an antique white background. I could not match the green. And this was my mother's first quilt work and many of the outside hexagons were misshapen making attaching new hexagons almost impossible. There was some very 'creative' ironing necessary to get them in shape to use.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 PM

I am thinking they could also be early 40's...
Just because some of the colors that are being brought in...
Kirsten
Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 AM

Linda, I was also given a couple of Grandmother's garden blocks in this bag. Did you machine applique the edges down? I'm assuming you carefully turned down about 1/4" on the outside first?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Here's a couple of photos of 6 star blocks that I was able to trim, square and then add sashing to make the same size, finished block. Otherwise, they would be a nightmare to put together. I'm hoping to find a way to finish off the other star blocks to incorporate them in the same quilt. Also a picture of the 2 grandma's flower garden blocks that are also older and hand pieced. I don't think they're as old as the 30's fabrics though. Maybe I'm wrong...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70943.jpe   attachment-70944.jpe   attachment-70945.jpe