Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
can someone give advice? >

can someone give advice?

can someone give advice?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 AM

Hi,
I am new here. Can someone help me with a pattern? I want to do a queen size bed quilt. I have some pictures of wildlife that I want to put on the top of it. Does anyone have a simple pattern that I could use to incorporate these pictures?
Thanks.

Kathy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173724.jpe   attachment-173730.jpe  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 AM

There is no pictures posted?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 AM

That is a great picture! I can't give advice on this, but I have a feeling that the quilt will be stunning, no matter what you do.

I would love the picture you posted as a center panel, but I don't know if you can print on to cloth large enough to make it a center panel. Might have to print it in sections for that, then sash it to make it look as if you're looking out your window.

Sorry about that - I only saw the first picture post. It appears you do have a panel!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Hi,
sorry, just trying to learn how to post correctly. Here are the pictures. As you can see, some different sizes.
My son is the typical outdoors guys, so that I why I chose these. Hope someone can give advice.
Thanks again.
Kathy
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Hi,
well I definitely want to use each of these 5 pictures as a separate picture on the quilt with the big one obviously in the center. I also have material to match these pictures, so can "fussy cut" out of that into 6" squares also if I choose to do that. But frankly I think just using these 5 with either a snowy or woodsy background would be fine. Just need a bit of direction.

Kathy
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM

Ok here is what I did when I needed ideas.... this board is great for. Go to the top and click on "search" here in our board. Then in your case put in the words "outdoors" or son you will get a list of the postings that go with those words... and the pictures. I just did a search using "outdoors" and some quilt pictures came up that might be able to help.
Rose
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM

Hi Kathy, What a wonderful picture of wildlife.

What you need to do is to make an outline drawing of the wildlife picture you would like for your quilt. The outline should include important features where you would have a change of fabric. Once you're satisfied with the outline drawing then you decide how big you want that to be for your quilt top. Then you'll enlarge your outline drawing. When doing this on a printer you will get several sheets of regular paper that you'll need to tape together for your actual size pattern. I would also make at least two copies. One to have up on your wall, one the small size at your table and when sewing for reference and note taking, and at least one to cut up for pattern use.

Typically they would appear in the center of the bed. You'll work up a design layout with measurements. Then decide what blocks or design you want the remaining part of the quilt to be including the sashing and borders.

I would look at other quilt patterns that include wildlife. The other types of patterns are ones that include a large medallion in the middle which you would replace with the wildlife picture.

Also some quilt tops are just the wildlife picture and typically include a border that frames the wildlife area and then outside borders. Sometimes the design goes outside the framing border and can be quite unique.

I hope these suggestions are of some help. Good luck with your quilt project. Please keep us updated on your progress of your project with pictures if possible.

Pam M
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 AM

How about using the Wolf Song pattern it would work, or on this site also they have lots of wildlife quilts for free...just scroll through all the free patterns...I'm making the large Wolf Song Quilt....
http://www.classiccottons.com/free-quilt-patterns.aspx
Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 AM
mim

Try doing log cabin blocks with the pictures as the middle. I'm not sure how many panels you have in all. Duplicates of the pix would be OK. I did bunk bed quilts with fishing lures as centers for a hunting/fishing camp.

Mim
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173806.jpe   attachment-173807.jpe  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM

I think the log cabin block would work well with the pictures! :D