Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catty-wampus

I've been working to finish this up the last few days, and finally got it done today. It was a UFO that sat in my sewing room for nearly two years after I started it in a Quilt as You Go class (during which we never got to the "as you go" part, just assembled the top and got 3 of the blocks quilted).

It doesn't look so bad now, but it was a big pain to work with. I used poly batting and a really floppy cotton for the backing, and together they were giving me fits when I went to assembling the sections (there are 2, each 6 blocks), not to mention the fact that I had a REALLY off day FMQ yesterday. I picked some of it out and re-did it this morning, and I NEVER do that.

It will be a charity quilt, although before I got it done and washed and dried, which improved things a bit, I thought it might be a trunk quilt for my family to take to picnics, because I wouldn't have given it to anyone.

A few days ago Dashton4 posted a quilt on here with an appliqued kitty, and it looked so cute that when it seemed like the top was...missing something...I went and appliqued a cat on it. The cat is from the book 501 Quilt Blocks, put out by Better Homes and Gardens. I enlarged it 175% I think. I like how it turned out.

I also like the label, which I traced in Pigma pen from a book of Iron-On Transfer labels my mom got me for Christmas, and colored with crayon.

Then I was so happy to be finished I made two potholders from the scraps. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

It is a cool quilt. Do you like that methof--quilt as you go?

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    It is a cool quilt. Do you like that methof--quilt as you go?
    I've played around with a few different ways of doing quilt as you go. I like it because otherwise it is a pain to do larger things on my machine. I have always done it with cotton batting before this, though, and I think cotton batting makes it MUCH easier.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    A few days ago Dashton4 posted a quilt on here with an appliqued kitty, and it looked so cute that when it seemed like the top was...missing something...I went and appliqued a cat on it. The cat is from the book 501 Quilt Blocks, put out by Better Homes and Gardens. I enlarged it 175% I think. I like how it turned out. :)
    WONDERFUL!! I like how it turned out too, and I'm so glad I was able to inspire you. Thank you so much for posting the picture. :-)

I've only done quilt as you go with polyester batting many years ago. I hated it. I can see how a cotton batting would be much easier to work with.
    BTW, I think the cat just "makes" that quilt.

Blog Entries
    I agree; the cat *makes* this quilt!

congrats for finishing

A Very pretty quilt, love the color and the cat is so cute
    :D :thumbup:

Thanks everyone. I'm glad other people like the cat, too. I signed up late for the class and didn't have time to do any "real" blocks, so I just put a bunch of 4 patches together real quick, so it was kind of bland before I added the kitty.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes the little things, like your cat, make all the difference! It puts a focal point (emphasis) on your quilt, a place to stop the eye from wandering. I like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast