Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Charity quilt - long posting. >

Charity quilt - long posting.

Charity quilt - long posting.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I have been asked to post some info and pics of a Charity Quilt my group made last year. I happened to mention it on my diary, as it is at last featured in an Irish Quilt magazine that is apparently available in branches of Joanns. It was nice to get the recognition, but they weren't able to print more than a few details about it. Here goes. As a group, we have made numerous Project Linus quilts donated to local needy children, but decided that we wanted to make a larger one as a winter project. One of our members is a nun who worked at a Home that caters for mentally and/or physically disabled people from the very young to the very old. The home is called Cregg House, so we settled on houses for a theme, but didn't want to use existing traditional house designs, so decided to take the plunge and make our own. This was brave for those who insisted that they couldn't draw a straight line, but I insisted that if five year olds can draw a house, then so could our members. We bought some basic colours, so that there would be some continuity throughout the quilt. The sashings and borders were a strong dark royal blue. Then there were two sky colours, five house colours, two roof colours, and five greens for trees and grass. All the others came from individual stashes.

The Cregg House Quilt. Each block was 12in finished, sashings 2in, borders 5in (I think, it was a long time ago)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42750[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42750.jpe  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

The keen eyed among you might think why a light house was in there, but the maker lives really near this one, and argued that it was a house at one stage. There is also one the looks like a mushroom. This was made by a Granny who had been recently reading Noddy books (Enid Blyton) to her Gkids, and Big Ears lives in a Mushroom Other than that, there is a derelict house, without windows, a Christmas Cottage, several based on traditional Irish cottages, a pair of semi detached, and a row of terraced houses, because up to that point, all those coming in were detatched, and I didn't want to alienate half the local population

The semi detached pair of houses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42736[/ATTACH]

The row of terraced houses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42746[/ATTACH]

The lighthouse - this was hand painted to achieve some of the detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42753[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42736.jpe   attachment-42746.jpe   attachment-42753.jpe  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM

this is really nice!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Thank you Lacelady for posting this!!! I love all of the houses!!! Traditional, unique, whimsical, not one of them the same!! I was looking at the detailed work on them, Awesome!!! I can see why you were able to raise so much money with it and why it was featured in a magazine!!! Congratulations and Bless each and every one of you that worked on this beauty!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Oooo do you have more close ups??? :D :D :D Which one was yours???
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM

I think that the house theme was really a great idea! and the houses are really awesome! Way to go!!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

We took the quilt out and about to sell the 'tickets'. In actual fact, Cregg House printed A4 sheets of paper, with a full sized picture of the quilt on one side, and numbered lines for people to buy on the other. €2 for one line, or €5 for three lines. The local Supermarket store allowed us to pitch our quilt outside their door, which is undercover in a local small mall, (a blessing last year as it rained and rained and rained We did three full days initially, then at least one day a week for a couple of months. We took the quilt to a Gymkhana and Craft show (mercifully undercover again) to another agricultural show, Several days in the local hospital, as there are always a good number of people there, and basically anywhere else we could think of. A lovely lady bought lines early on, then came back for more sheets as she worked at one of the larger employers in the area. In the end, she raised almost €2000 from just that one place. Cregg House itself also sent out sheets of lines to all their contacts.

This one is more of a fantasy house
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42747[/ATTACH]

This one based on an Irish cottage with thatched roof
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42748[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42747.jpe   attachment-42748.jpe  
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

Wow!! That is one beautiful quilt!!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

The money kept coming in, which was really gratifying. People were handing in money and not wanting to have their names added - we were told all sorts of stories of those who had relatives there, those who worked there. I spoke to one lady who had worked all her working life there, retired, and missed it so much, she went back part time. So many heartwarming stories. We sold lines to one man, recently arrived in the country, recently qualified as a nurse, who asked all about it, and subsequently went there and got a job!

This one loosly based on Clarice Cliffe designs (she was a pottery designer in the 1920's and very collectible now)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42745[/ATTACH]

Top left - bird house
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42749[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42745.jpe   attachment-42749.jpe  
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

When we had enough, it fell to me to put the whole thing together, and I quilted it with small houses in the sashings and cornerstones, and larger ones in the borders. (See some of the closeups.) We also made a bag the featured another house on it, just to carry it around

This one was taken indoors, when we launched the sale of lines, and you can just see the bag hanging on the side of the stand.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42751[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42751.jpe