Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chemo Quilt for a student

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar

Chemo Quilt for a student

One of my English students started chemo treatments this week. Knowing that the cancer had spread to his lymph nodes, I figured he would have either chemo or radiation after his surgery a few weeks ago, so I decided to make him a sofa quilt to help keep him warm. I've read that some treatments take so much out of a body that it's hard to stay warm. He's very thin, so there's already nothing on him to keep him warm. I made the quilt with a high loft batting and extra long because he's probably six feet tall at 17! After finishing the quilt I took it to school and had the kids in my classes sign it or write words of encouragement. Originally I was going to use the blue for the entire back but decided to put some white on the back so there would be more room to sign it. The kids loved the idea of signing it and writing little notes to him. (Check out the tail end of my quilt inspector in the first pic. lol)

After I finished the quilt, I called his mom to deliver it, but they are in the hospital for his first treatment, so it has to wait till he comes back. I'm really excited to deliver it to him. I'm hoping it brightens his Thanksgiving holidays.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

He will love it and the notes! That is true about being cold. I know.
    Jojos Nana, Carol

What a wonderful idea. Thank you for going the extra mile in caring for this teen and his family. I also love how you included his friends well wishes into the finished product. A very tangible way for him to know how many care about him.

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

How wonderful and thoughtful you are! Just goes to show that TEACHERS are a gift from God!! I am sure your student will love this quilt and treasure it always. I will put him on my prayer list.
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

Power Poster
    very nice!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

It is sure to brighten his day!
    Jean

Blog Entries
    Ditto to all above. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

So kind of you and the guilt will encourage him!

Great idea and quilt and wonderful of you to do this for him! Good luck to him!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast