Chinese Lanterns Variations Blocks >

Chinese Lanterns Variations Blocks

Chinese Lanterns Variations Blocks

Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Do you ever actually make a quilt?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 PM

That is really great!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Wow beautiful design. Love those colors too. Now are you going to make one?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM

So funny.... What my eyes actually saw at first glance was a raspberry colored Berber carpet with pieces of blocks arranged on top! I'm trying to figure out how the different rows are variations of the same blocks - but I believe that they are. I haven't taken the plunge into computer design yet. Still at work with my graph paper. Have fun with your project.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 AM

Yes I actually do some quilts which I mostly donate for displaced children. I'm a new quilter less than 7 months quilting. I prefer to design and let others quilt them. These designs in EQ7 is new to me, program that is, and yes I will make some of these designs but will start with much simpler designs. I am NOT a traditional nor a contemporary quilter but lean more towards MOD quilter which means MODERN Quilter. Modern quilters do not follow the rules of tradtional or contemporary quilters and are pretty much free spirits creating one of a kind design in their quilts.

Mostly what I have done in the last year are scrappy/rag quilts and now experimenting with this same methods and practicing creating my own stitching on each using a computerized sewing machine. I am also using various types geometrics cuts to create rag quilts that no one has ever done before, at least I don't think they have. Can't find anything online world wide where anyone is doing what I am playing with.

I plan to use EQ7 to help me come up with new designs by using sort of a reverse engineering of blocks to create one of a kind as you have seen me post here.

I have already started cutting the templates for one of the designs I have shown here to sew up and eventually complete as a quilt.

I'm also self-teaching myself free motion quilting and playing with some of my own designs for free motion quilting.

I'm also self teaching myself thread painting to put in my creations however that is a horse of a different color so to speak.

Right now I've been working on designs for local guilds in the area who have seen what I can do and want designs for them to quilt for their quilt raffles. I completed one for the local guild in my town the other week which I believe they said they will use for their Christmas raffle and I'm working on another design for another guild I belong to in a neighboring town and not sure how they will use it because they do various charity raffles each year.

Lets face it some of us design, some sew, some quilt and some do all three. I do sew and I certainly love to design and trying to earn how to quilt what I design and sew.

I have completed over a dozen tops in the last nine months not rag type quilts which I need to quilt. Just need to find the time to do it.

I'm currently working on dye-ing my own fabrics as well as paint and design on them to use in future projects and as I mentioned above have been experimenting in creating rag quilts as never seen before by anyone. Right now I'm doing fancy stitching on blocks for a rag quilt just to see how it will look and using some of my fancy stitches on my machine.