Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas Log Cabin Star >

Christmas Log Cabin Star

Christmas Log Cabin Star

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

I worked on the extention. I had some strips left over and quite a lot of odd pieces, there was a basket full of them and so, not wanting to waste, I decided on S&C (scraps and crumps.

I started working on some areas. I say areas because I dont' want blocks, I want the extention to kinda melt together as one piece.

After I had sort of a beginning on three different pieces, and a couple small ones. I started to built on them. I decide on 17 wide by 86 long, the width of the quilt. This piece will look nice on the pillow.

I feel great about using all the left over scraps. This will take a nice chunk out of my Christmas fabrics, after the backing etc, I will have to take a look and see what is left now.....I might have to do another.

And since I don't really care too much about this line of fabric, I will pick a project that I am not familiar with, so if things go into the garbage, it's no love lost lol.....

These are the pieces I made to get an idea of where I was going.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158008[/ATTACH]

Here the pieces are all ready to join up, they have all been squared etc.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158012[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158003.jpe   attachment-158007.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 AM

I love ,love, love this , my two favorites combined, stars and log cabins! I would love to make one of these.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
I love ,love, love this , my two favorites combined, stars and log cabins! I would love to make one of these.
Ok, here is the long and short of it, now that I have made it.

Cut a strip of paper 11inches wide, subcut a 60 degree diamond 11 ins long, rule lines of 3/4 for the dark strips and 1/2 ins. lines for the light side and start with the dark lines first. Number your lines starting with the dark side first. Transfer your pattern to freezer paper or make enough regular paper patterns. You only need one freezer paper pattern for the entire quilt.

You will need another pattern for the set in diamonds. Using the same pattern, rule the lines on the short side of the diamond, again starting with the dark lines first.

Cut dark fabric strips @ 1 1/4 ins and lights @ 1 ins.

Start doing your log cabin with the dark strips first. Turn counter clockwise. Double check to see if you are doing it right. Pay attention to the lenght of the strips, they need to be longer because of the slant and the strip has to go past the point of the slant 1/4 ins, after you do a couple, you will get the drift.

The same pattern is used for the plain blocks.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM

This is the last step for the CLCS. I quilted it yesterday and instead of binding it with a seperate binding, I left a 1 1/2 inch of batting and backing all around the quilt.

I then mitered the corners by folding the two ends at the corner, on the wrong side, together and sewed a seam down leaving a 1/4 inch for the turning under.

I then folded that exta binding to the right of the quilt and turned under 1/4 inch and proceeded to sew it down on the right side. When I got to the corners, they were already mitered, so all I had to do was turn under the 1/4 inch, I had left free.

You can't tell that the binding is a self binding unless you turn it over.

This is a total scrap quilt, using only lights and darks but one theme (Christmas fabric). I love all the effects. I see the star, boxes, baby blocks and buildings.

One could have make the plain blocks also striped like the rest of the quilt blocks, but one was getting sick of the of it and wanted to move on to something else lol, and the plain blocks look just as nice.

Since this was a custom quilt, some things had to be custom cut. Looking at the quilt, you can see that when the star is finished, you need to fill some spaces in with half diamonds and that was easy. Just cut a plain diamond in half and leave 1/4 inch seam allowance before cutting.

For the four ends, I layed the quilt corner on the cutting board, lined up the top and the side and made a paper pattern of that area and added the 1/4 seam and cut that from fabric.

I am happy to report that I have put a good 12 to 15 yard dent in my stash lol.

Edit: you can see a large pic by going to my blog and clicking on the pics.

I put a sheet over my neighbor's fence and draped the quilt over it lol.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167259[/ATTACH]

I found this lovely rose fabric in my stash that looked christmasy. I just had to add a tiny bit to each side and the top. I love it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167260[/ATTACH]

Close up of the top piece, I added after, to make it longer. I used all the bits and pieces left over for the cutting and tearing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167261[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167254.jpe   attachment-167255.jpe   attachment-167256.jpe