Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Coke Tray Liner

Well I finished my project...finally.
    I made PLENTY of mistakes, but at least I've learned from them
    This is my first attempt at flying geese and sewing several small sections together.

Question:
    why is it that the more pieces I sew together the more it distorts the dimensions? I pressed all my seams and pieces before adding another section/row but it still got distorted.

The tray is from an old cafeteria, and has become a "catch-all" try instead.
    Name:  Attachment-51428.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  54.2 KB

I don't see any distortion. But, one trick is, Don't use any steam while pressing and never, never rub on the bias edges. They grow (stretch)when you do. Before you cut anything bias out use a heavy starch on it, this helps to set them in place better.

It is fun to see the coca cola stuff. Do you collect it?

You did a great job!

Good job! We are somewhat coke collectors too. I have a timer, straw container, napkin holder (the old fashioned).

That's cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy_Lit5
    Question: why is it that the more pieces I sew together the more it distorts the dimensions? I pressed all my seams and pieces before adding another section/row but it still got distorted.
    Having experienced this myself, it's really true that those little "negligible" errors add up. Re-measure each time you sew two sets of sewn pieces together, and finesse by matching them up at the inner seam lines, not the outer ones, when you find discrepancies.

Looks great. Make sure that when you press that is all you are doing. Don't iron (rubbing back and forth), you have to pick up the iron and place it where you want to press. I learned that the hard way. Wonky doesn't describe what I had when I was done. LOL

another thing that can cause distortion even though you dont' notice till its' too late...when sewing multiple pieces together that seam allowance is important...if you are off just 1/8", doesn't seem like anything at all, but then when the 8th piece goes together...woah...you are a whole 1" off!!!it adds up and isn't noticed until it is too late. pressing is important, sometimes if you 'square-up and trim your piece after each addition it is more work but will help keep everything as it should be in the end.
    i had a little lady ask me once...when i was complaining about the imperfections in my latest piece..."can you see it when it hangs off the brooklyn bridge?" in other words...we know the imperfections are there because we've been UP CLOSE all along...anyone else looking at it is not going to notice what we see as a glaring boo-boo. so unless it is to be judged and has to be perfect don't sweat the small stuff, no one knows but you :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    another thing that can cause distortion even though you dont' notice till its' too late...when sewing multiple pieces together that seam allowance is important...if you are off just 1/8", doesn't seem like anything at all, but then when the 8th piece goes together...woah...you are a whole 1" off!!!it adds up and isn't noticed until it is too late. pressing is important, sometimes if you 'square-up and trim your piece after each addition it is more work but will help keep everything as it should be in the end.
    i had a little lady ask me once...when i was complaining about the imperfections in my latest piece..."can you see it when it hangs off the brooklyn bridge?" in other words...we know the imperfections are there because we've been UP CLOSE all along...anyone else looking at it is not going to notice what we see as a glaring boo-boo. so unless it is to be judged and has to be perfect don't sweat the small stuff, no one knows but you :mrgreen:
    Our saying is "Can you see it from a galloping horse?" LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The ironing vs. pressing really is a big deal. I get carried away with the iron and end up with a weird looking edge.

Blog Entries
    Very NICE!! :D Your work is
    really great. Thank you for
    sharing with all of us.
    :D :D :D :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast