Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Colorful Quilt >

The Colorful Quilt

The Colorful Quilt

Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 PM

wow..I never imagined "quilting" would include something like this..lol. This is really great. Look forward to the progress pics :)
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 AM

It is a lot of work, I have to admit. But I love the whole process of quilting from the beginning to the end. I don't care about time (did I say I was retired? lol). I look forward to it on a daily basis if I don't get involved in anything else. I will work on this until it is finished and love every minute of it. I am also learning a heck of a lot as I work on it. I have already conjured up ideas of my own.

I suppose she had to make the pattern this way without seams or the packet would be huge. I had two copies made and left the orginal in tact. That is the map you see on the wall. The only draw back is that I have to look at the reverse side of the blocks in order to put them on the map.

I couldn't imagine doing this without a map to put the blocks on, it would be confusing then.

On some parts that I make a freeze paper tracing, I do put the seams. On the others, I just gauge the exta for the seams and use a ruler to cut later.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

how cool. i can't wait to see it done
Old 06-21-2010, 02:45 PM

I love checking in on your blog and watching you creation grow.That is really a beautiful quilt but for me it really looks scary.I just learn simple pp this last winter. But I can't wait to see your quilt finished :-D
Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Wow! You have picked out a challenge, but what you have done so far is beautiful. I can't wait to see it all done.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I think I'm enjoying watching this evolve as much as you are putting it together. Absolutely stunning and the fabrics are really being shown at their best. Look forward to seeing more.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

wow!!! I cant wait to see this one done, that is going to be a stunner. thank you for sharing and God bless. Penny
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 AM

Pick me up off the floor!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 AM

I've seen similar patterns before and wondered how they fit together. I looked at your blog and saw how it happens. Thanks for the explanation. I made Karen K. Stone's 'Cinco de Mayo' pattern, which is similar to this but is square blocks. All the parts were hand drawn on tracing paper. I found it tears off easier than other paper. My quilt is 5 blocks X 6 blocks (each block about 11" square). My color palette is very different than Karen's tho.
Did you stay with the main color palette or change lots of areas? Did you make up a colored map to know what yours will look like before beginning the piecing of the sections? Is it difficult to sew the curved shapes together, some of those curves look kind of tight?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 AM

I too am looking forward to seeing this one progress - you must have infinite patience, I admire that.