Here's the chemo comfort throw I made for my friend.
The 9-1/2" sashings were left over from sashings from another quilt. I liked the contrast between the sashing fabric & this fabric. So, I cut main fabric into 9 1/2" squares. There was just enough main fabric to also cornerstone the sashings.
The back is a V-D9P. Variant D9P. I made it up, you know how it goes, making your fabric "work" for you. I have done a search & havent seen anything like it anywhere. Trying to "work my stash". I had the raspberry and the light one. It is a light dusty purple basket weave print. I liked these two fabrics for the back, but even together, i did not have enough fabric. I realized I had about 8/9ths enough and I could add one more square for an odd man out 9patch. Once I made it, I thought, hmm, kind of plain.
Sorry, cluttery laundry room...
square in a square machine quilting. (not pointing at anything, just holding quilt up on my sewing machine.)