Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross-stitched Baby Quilt

Cross-stitched Baby Quilt

At last, I've finished quilting my mom's UFO from over a decade ago! I originally posted several questions about this undertaking almost a year ago: cross-stitched baby quilt - HELP!

Of course it is far from perfect, but I'm not going to be pointing out my mistakes to anybody It is hand-quilted with cotton multicolor thread from threadart.com and has Warm & Natural batting. I used stem-stitch to embroider the label and appliqued it on by hand. I decided to bind it by folding over the flannel backing when I realized how quickly my sister's due date was approaching. Luckily the quilt was washed and ready to go about 2 days before my nephew was born! I was intending to use RetroClean to see if I could get the age spots out, but since they lightened considerably with just one wash with Charlie's Soap, I called it "good enough." Unfortunately I did not take the best photos to show off the colors properly.

I do have one more question for anyone who does this kind of pre-printed cross-stitching: do you generally use an extra layer on back as you stitch? This fabric had pulled in to the center of the blocks quite a bit from the original stitching my mom did, so I was just wondering if it's preferable to use some sort of interfacing to keep that from happening.

Thanks for looking!

Name:  1 IMG_3369.JPG
Views: 1181
Size:  1,013.2 KB
    Name:  2 IMG_3359.JPG
Views: 1183
Size:  614.2 KB
    Name:  3 IMG_3358.JPG
Views: 1181
Size:  593.0 KB
    Name:  4 IMG_3356.JPG
Views: 1183
Size:  610.8 KB
    Name:  5 IMG_3357.JPG
Views: 1171
Size:  594.7 KB
    Name:  6 IMG_3361.JPG
Views: 1168
Size:  615.3 KB
    Name:  7 IMG_3360.JPG
Views: 1131
Size:  602.3 KB
    Name:  8 IMG_3365.JPG
Views: 1121
Size:  1.04 MB

Power Poster
    Cute quilt! Nice you could use your mother's work to welcome another generation.

Blog Entries
    Adorable! What a special gift.
    Boom Albums

Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

Beautiful quilt, I remember making an embroidery on many many years ago...
    Dyan

Blog Entries
    very nicely done, the stitching and the quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

That is a really pretty quilt. I've done a little stamped cross-stitch years ago. I think the shrinking could be from cotton floss that shrank in the wash and/or the stitcher could have pulled her threads a bit too tight. I don't think people put an extra layer on the back. I was never taught to do that.
    Sally

Power Poster
    Its very nice!!!!
    QUILTNMO

I like the puffy look. Wouldn't change a thing. It feels more comfy that way. Just georgous!

Blog Entries
    LOVE it. This quilt will have many memories. I am sure that your sister will also love it. There probably will be some tears. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Sew very cute! It is a treasure and you did a very good job salvaging the blocks. It seems to me that when I did stamped embroidery, whether it was cross stitch or something else, I used hoops and pulled it fairly tight. The thread could have shrunk slightly or something like that. I could never tell there was a problem from looking at the quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast