Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cutting Table makeover >

Cutting Table makeover

Cutting Table makeover

Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 AM

Default Cutting Table makeover

My cutting table was beginning to list a bit south andmoving it was becoming an iffy chore.Only some of the wheels worked and it would shimmy and shake like itwould fall apart any time now.As I wasdoing my morning walk thru my neighborhood, I noticed one of my neighbors wasmoving out and they had a dismantled crib laid out for trash pick-up.Every day I walked past that crib thinkingthere should be some way I could use this….hmmmm.It had not been picked up in over a week so Iassumed it was waiting for me to make a decision…and I did.I took it home with me (had to walk past thishouse 4 times to get all the pieces) DH and I picked up 3 1x2 boards and cutthem to the length of the cutting table.I thought about re-finishing the crib because it had a bit of weatherdamage from lying out in the cold and damp, but decided I was OK with the wayit looked.We cut off about 6 inches ofthe legs and put some glides on the bottoms, laid the 1x2’s across the top,then glued the table top to the boards.I considered putting a platform where the mattress would lay but since Idon’t really need the storage, I left it for now…maybe later.I can’t fold the sides in anymore but Irarely ever did that anyway so not a problem.I figure I saved the crib from the landfill and had an almost free fixfor my table and the table is much more sturdy and it looks nice in front of mydesign wall and the gliders make it easy enough to move…win, win all around!

Attached Thumbnails dscn3616.jpg   dscn3633.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 AM

That's a great idea!! I don't know if you could do this too as it may become unstable, but what about removing the front crib panel. Once you remove it put your stuff in there. My only thought is you'd have to do something to make the 3 sides remain sturdy.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:21 AM

Good job fixing your table and good job saving the crib. I had an old crib (as old as me!) and not usable because the spindles aren't close together enough to be usable in this day and age. I took off the sliding sides, stood them on their ends and use them as quilt display. Sorta like a ladder some use but shorter & wider. Haven't figured out a use for the ends yet but still have them.

Your new table looks really nice too!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

a great idea... thanks for sharing
Old 02-15-2015, 07:06 AM

I love both the idea of refurbishing a crib to use as a cutting table and the idea of taking the sides off and using them for quilt displays. Ingenious!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:18 AM

That is fantastic!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

great idea!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

​Nice idea! I wonder if a roll of batt would fit in there on a rod. You could bring it out the slit at the top of the crib under the cutting table.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Great idea! our resale shops often have changing tables. Hmmm....
Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 AM

What a clever idea! I have my mother's old white crib. It's smaller than a regular crib. I'm going to take a look at it! Thanks