Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
D4P Butterflies--Work in Progress >

D4P Butterflies--Work in Progress

D4P Butterflies--Work in Progress

Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Default D4P Butterflies--Work in Progress

I've been playing with D4P's thanks to both my mother-in-law and the many beautiful posts on the board. All along, they've made me think of butterflies. I played on graph paper with some alternate arrangements and while I saw butterflies my husband couldn't see it. So then a brainstorm hit...I can alter the blocks, adding to the original D4P and adding sashing to clearly separate the butterflies. After all, isn't that how new designs are created? So, I made my first block and showed my husband and mother-in-law, neither was really impressed, but I still really liked where it was going. So I kept making blocks. Then a co-worker asked me about making a baby quilt for her daughter who was expecting. I asked her about theme and color...are you ready...butterflies & flowers in pinks and purples. I couldn't believe it...the batik I was using for my D4P butterflies shaded from pink to purple and had flowers in multiple hues. I grabbed a piece of the fabric and took it to work with me the next day to show my friend...she flipped and thought it was absolutely gorgeous and just perfect for the expected grand-daughter. Anyway, I've finished the top. My husband helped design the final layout (butterfly directions). And, he finally saw the butterflies, though he says they remind him more of moths. I hope you like the design and I'm looking forward to finishing the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails dp4-butterflies-quilt-top.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 PM

I played with several different layouts for the arrangement of the 9 butterfly blocks for this quilt...A) Butterflies flying in opposite directions row by row; B) All butterflies flying the same direction; and C) All but the center butterfly flying in the same direction. I really liked C, I thought it spoke to individuality and the strength to stand against the tide, but my husband thought that it looked like I'd simply made a mistake. Another alternate arrangement that I thought about was leaving the center butterfly off (the front anyway) and simply have the planned FMQ show the outline of the butterfly on the white square. (I was thinking about piecing the back and putting the missing butterfly there, instead.) I really liked making this quilt and may still make another one using this idea.
Attached Thumbnails d4p-butterflies-alt-arrangement-.jpg   d4p-butterflies-alt-arrangement-b.jpg   d4p-butterflies-alt-arrangement-c.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 PM

WOW! I love it. You done a fantastic job on your new design. I like all three layouts. It is hard to decide my favorite. The fabric you used is awesome. I can see why you would want to make more of this pattern. Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you like.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:16 PM

Thanks, Halo. It really is a fun block and it would work well for a scrappier approach as well. I do want to say that despite the fact that they couldn't see the butterfly, my husband and mother-in-law are two people who constantly encourage and inspire me to pursue my creativity. I am truly blessed to have both of them in my life.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM

I love your design. I like the first layout best. The grandma will be pleased.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 AM

That is just beautiful.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

nicely done, great design
Old 08-24-2014, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Looking good. You GO girl. BrendaK
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

what a neat design nice job!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 AM