At my daughter's wedding last March I had the wedding guests sign a piece of muslin that I was planning on using as the back of a quilt. My 7 year old son started the quilt by sewing the strip sets together and making the snowball blocks. Then life stepped in and I had a radical hysterectamy on June 8th and a very long and complicated recovery. I took up finishing the quilt last week. First picture is that original finished top.
I knew I was going to add pieces to the signed muslin to fit the top. I used every piece of fabric and pieced a patchy border. I then decided to add pictures of the couple to the upper part. added the wide borders and thought I was done. (2nd and 4th pictures)
After looking at the "back" the next morning I really felt it needed to be it's own quilt top. So back to stash and I found a few short pieces of 90" wide quilt backing but it was too short for the length, so I made a strip out of what was left of more of the quilt top fabrics.(3rd pic). this will now be the back of the "New" quilt top with the wedding day sentiments.
I dropped the New quilt top and back at my mother's so she can start hand quilting this one and picked up a new fabric to make a backing for the patched quilt. Modern Wedding Ring is the name of pattern. Fabrics are the color picks of bride. I am hoping to make one 18" pillow and 3 smaller Faith, Hope, and Love pillows out of what fabric I have left. After this is done I can say I am done with her wedding sewing. I also made her gown, 2 bridesmaid, 2 candlelighter, and 10 vest/tie combos for wedding.
Will post finished quilted quilt when done.