Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I harm the value of quilt

Blog Entries
    My Mother died at the age of 92.
    The hexagons she had pieced at the age of 20. For her 90th birthday, I took the hexagaons and appliqued them to material and put them together for this quilt. Then I took old feed sacks
    to make the scalloped border.

Did I decrease the value of the quilt by doing applique?

Grandmothers flower garden??
    Name:  Attachment-177971.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  58.2 KB

I can't say if you changed the value but I would think the value increased because you cared enough to finish it! It looks beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    I'd say no. That quilt is beautiful. No quilt police here. The greatest value of that quilt is the memories your family has. This is a wonder family heirloom:)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I don't see how you could put a price on the value of the work you both did.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Are you going to sell it? Probably not. Then if I were you I would not worry about the value. You now have something can be used or displayed. I am in the process of making some of our vintage quilts useable and I am not worried about the value because they will always stay in our family. I have told my grandchildren if they ever decide to sell any of the family heirlooms I will come down and make them ugly! LOL

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I'd say no. That quilt is beautiful. No quilt police here. The greatest value of that quilt is the memories your family has. This is a wonder family heirloom:)
    Oh yes, I agree 100% w/erstan947 - you have contributed to a fantastic family heirloom to pass on from her generation, thru yours to the next. I'm sure you either already have, or plan to put a label on it w/the complete story.

BEAUTIFUL QUILT & STORY OF MOM & YOU :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have a blessed evening.

Quote Originally Posted by KGoodhand
    I can't say if you changed the value but I would think the value increased because you cared enough to finish it! It looks beautiful!!!
    I totally agree. What a fabulous thing you did. There is no value of things that come from the heart.

Blog Entries
    My educated opinion here; unless the fabric you appliqued the blocks to is a vintage fabric (same era as the block fabrics) then the monetary value has been significantly decreased.

BUT to a buyer who would just purchase because they love the way the quilt looks, then probably not.

In the long run the look on your mother's face is priceless and I wouldn't give it another thought. The quilt is beautiful!

Did it give it more value to have it done for your family or take its value away only you and your family can relly make that decision in my opinion it made it much more valuable Now you can say not only did she take part in making it but she also got to use it

I don't know about the monetary value but what a gift for her to see it finished and have it usable for her family. It only has monetary value if you are willing to sell it. It is a family treasure!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast