Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Does anybody use an 'open toe' satin stitch foot for quilting????? >

Does anybody use an 'open toe' satin stitch foot for quilting?????

Does anybody use an 'open toe' satin stitch foot for quilting?????

Old 03-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Izy
Thank God I am not alone, thought twice about posting this thread, as I thought the 'quilt police' would be after me tee hee!!, Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest. I have done all the curves and chains on my sashings with it too, as there is enough movement for you to swing your quilt around alittle at a time. I also use this foot for applique and do you know....after speaking to you gals, I wonder if you can use it to free motion......watch this space, I will post piccies of the results - good or bad!!!!!! lol!!

Thanks again for all your positive comments :) :) :) :) :)
We threw the Quilt Police outta here waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the beginning. Let them give each other ribbons and leave us alone. :lol:

given all the experience you have with the open toe, you might get it to work in freemotion, but i'm afraid it didn't work well for me when i tried it.

i also have mixed feelings about walking feet. i often have the same problem ruth described in another post. (leeeeetle bitty stitches)

by the way, ruth, if yours is like mine, that ditch foot is great! when i take the time to use it, the difference it makes is phenomenal. just do some practice sandwiches first (from each project) to figure out the best position for the little thingy and your needle. that will vary by a thread or two depending on your fabrics and batting.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 AM
Izy

Patrice, put me out of my misery, please post a picture of the little 'thingy' foot I might have one and not realise what its for lol!!

I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom, its so enlightening - thanks again Patrice!! :) :) :)

These pictures show one of my attempts at quilting, I used the open toe foot. The centre pattern was stitched over tracing paper (which I copied the design through) then ripped it away, then I just echo'ed around and around, just spying the previous line of stitching in the top left corner of the open foot, which came out not bad. You do have to keep turning your quilt though, but I liked the effect for a beginner. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56389.jpe   attachment-56474.jpe  
Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 AM

Very, Very nice!
Wish I could machine quilt that good!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Izy

Tirnhi, I hadn't done any until a few weeks ago, try it with one of this open toe feet I keep going on about, if I can do it so can you girl!! :) :) :)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 AM

now I see my problem, I'm not using my feet! I was trying to use my hands! LOL, OK I have a LOT of feet that I have no idea what they were designed for so haven't tried them for anything, yours looks very familiar, maybe I'll be checking some of them out. The quilt I'm working on now is for ME. I divided it into several big pieces so that I can bring it to work with me and quilt as you go by hand, the small pieces should be easy to manuver under the machine so I think I'll give it a try. It took me a year to get it pieced and quilting by hand will probably take at least 2 more, :shock: I don't have time to read everything or comment a much as I'd like but I do keep track of the picture section, I love "knowing" so many talented people!
This is better than a magazine because we get to see a lot of these projects as they develope. I'll try to post pictures of mine in progress as I'm open for suggestions on designs since each section will be different.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 AM

Oh, so THAT'S my problem!
I'm using my hands and not my FEET!
UGH!! Who woulda thunk??
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Izy

Kathy, I understand completely, i can be on here for hours as checking out everybodies threads is so riveting....guess that's down to our nature as quite evidently we all suffer from the same problem.......I am thinking fabric........... notions.....machines........storage containers.......cardboard for templates......shall I go on lol!! If there is anything for chucking out, my immediate thought is....could I reuse that for my something....so now I have become a terrible hoarder as well. :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll:
Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Izy
Patrice, put me out of my misery, please post a picture of the little 'thingy' foot I might have one and not realise what its for lol!!

I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom, its so enlightening - thanks again Patrice!! :) :) :)

The centre pattern was stitched over tracing paper (which I copied the design through) then ripped it away
thanks for the compliment, Izy. i'm sure you've noticed there are many here who are even wiser. i learn something new every day. :P

that stitching over the pattern on paper is the only way i can machine quilt anything but the ditch. i don't trace mine, though ... i print it using the computer on lightweight paper. the open toe works great for that.

i'm still at work. won't be home for another 2.5 hours. i'll photograph some of my favorite feet for you when i get home.

try looking in your machine manual. they usually explain what each foot is for and how to use it. [NOTE TO KATHY: the manual is that flippy floppy paper thing that came with your machine. has writing on the pages and little pictures and everything. i know you got at least one because one of your machines is just like one of mine. :roll: :wink: :lol: ]
Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Izy

Well its 11.30pm here Patrice, so time for bed, as I have my 'full day' quilting class tomorrow, so gotta be up bright and bushy tailed in the morning!! Thanks again for your advice, will check out my manual, but its not very informative - Janome 9000, but could go on the website ....looking forward to the photographs :) :)
Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 PM

WOW :!: :!: :!: :!: Definitly impressive. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: And an A++++. Pam W.