Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
From Don-isewman--Pictures of a problem block >

From Don-isewman--Pictures of a problem block

From Don-isewman--Pictures of a problem block

Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm not sure if I'm in the right area, to post pictures of a quilt block, I did before. I'm calling this my pain in the (%&)$#) butt quilt. This is a question, I'm asking, and I'm sure we all do. Does anybody have a quilt that doesnt go together correctly, sometimes. I sat down, and looked at my book's, and got tired of looking. So I ended up cutting peices for a quilt, I did before. I'll point out what is wrong, with some of the peices. Anyhow, I put the dam peices(quilt block) away. I ended up cutting out peices for another quilt. So now, I will have 2 quilt top's to work on. Anyhow, I ended up sewing 8 block's together. I just didnt like the way they were going together. I have a picture of my son, and his daughter, I will post also. I showed my son his quilt, and he said he posted a picture, in his battalion sight. He got back a few wonderful responsed.

A picture of my son, & grdaughter Autumn, and Coa-coa
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232370[/ATTACH]

A picture of the quilt block I'm doing . Called Bakers Dozen--JudyMartin-Ultimate Book of Patterns
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232371[/ATTACH]

This is a close up of, in which I dont have the 1/4 , in which I like to have
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232372[/ATTACH]

You can see the left side is wider then the right side. I've been cutting the left side off, so that the width is 3 1/4 wide, and a length of 6 3/8. I've been more or less overhauling the peices. Maybe thing's will go together better now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232374[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232364.jpe   attachment-232365.jpe   attachment-232366.jpe   attachment-232368.jpe  
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Looks great to me! You're just being like us women...critical of your own work! Keep going on it!!
Good luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Don, I have always loved Judy's blocks, but have always had the same problem. I don't know if I didn't keep the edge of the triangle and square under the pressure foot so it is a true 1/4 inch or not, but trimmed like you are or just moved the difficult piece over when adding it to the next section. It comes out much better either way...

BTW, great block!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM

aggravating isn't it? that happens to me a lot, you have to watch carefully when sewing them together to allow for that shortage
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Mine is the Lone Star! No matter how carefully I cut, I sew or I measure it simply will NOT come together for me! I have begun no less than six of the things and got so po-ed that I tossed the whole shebang in the trash!. I even have Eleanor Burns's Radiant Star book and STILL can't get it to work!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Hey Don, It's really a pretty pretty block....As I've always been told, accurate cutting, accurate 1/4" seams, as much as possible, helps tremendously, but more importantly, the more we sew, the better we get....Also, it could be the pattern, it could be the 1/4" seam your machine sews, is not what the pattern measurements are based on......It could be a multitude of things.....So with that in mind, don't beat yourself up too much..it just may not be something you are doing....Keep sewing, keep sewing, keep sewing...It's all a learning process....and I learn something everytime I sew....Kudos to you!!

San
FL
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM

I think in this situation a scant 1/4 seam should be
used or maybe when cutting out the squared use a
3/8's for your seams. I have problems with the
points of my stars too.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jammin' Jane
Looks great to me! You're just being like us women...critical of your own work! Keep going on it!!
Good luck!
Ditto!
BTW, love your fabric choices Don!
Have a great day!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Oh good grief, yes! Some blocks are a bear no matter what.
It looks like your problem is mostly with the left side of the block. The other sides look real good. How does the block measure out? That should give you a clue too where you are off. I would not worry about the slightly less than 1/4" it can still fit well without cutting off the points.

One of the designers suggests to measure each section after each seam/press to find out where things go wonky.

Keep on trucking.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM

It's very pretty and I like your color choices. Yes we all have problems with one that just won't go together.