Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Done! thanks for all the advice >

Done! thanks for all the advice

Done! thanks for all the advice

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

It looks great! I love your color combination!
Nice job!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM

That turned out really great. The borders are a perfect addition.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by chereth
I am teaching myself to quilt (with your help). I have learned something (at least one thing) new with each quilt. My lesson learned on this one was "square ALL your blocks" even the tiny 3 1/2 " ones. I didn't square them, so when I got the the 9 1/2" blocks I had to trim them to 9 1/4 to make them work, then my points didn't line up well. *sigh*
I know what you mean, Chereth. When I started quilting, I thought once you made a square, that was it. That was what you had to work with, good or bad. Now I'm working on a quilt with dozens of 2-1/2" HST's (half square triangles). I couldn't believe I had to square up each one, but what a difference it makes!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I am teaching myself to quilt (with your help). I have learned something (at least one thing) new with each quilt. My lesson learned on this one was "square ALL your blocks" even the tiny 3 1/2 " ones. I didn't square them, so when I got the the 9 1/2" blocks I had to trim them to 9 1/4 to make them work, then my points didn't line up well. *sigh*
Yeaaa! a convert to squaring everything as you go! It gets easier and like second nature. And you'll soon see how your joined blocks will come in almost bang on the expected sizes. And oh, how the points line up just right!

You've done a really great job ... love your very thin light first border. And is that a piping insert with the binding? Could you please show me a close up at a corner, perhaps? I'm thinking of using it in my OBW and would appreciate a look-see! Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
I know what you mean, Chereth. When I started quilting, I thought once you made a square, that was it. That was what you had to work with, good or bad. Now I'm working on a quilt with dozens of 2-1/2" HST's (half square triangles). I couldn't believe I had to square up each one, but what a difference it makes!
:thumbup:
I make them a little larger and then trim. It's much easier to trim a 3" HST nice and square than a 2-1/2" wonky HST ... almost impossible!
:thumbup:
Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Excellent quilt! Serene colors! LOVE grey and blue (or anything)! Narrow borders are perfect. Don't judge yourself so harshly. I'd love it.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

That is so pretty. You did a great job on all those triangles. I love the colors. That border fabric is beautiful. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 AM

Love it!

Kat
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM

sorry for second post-accident
Kat
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Beautiful!!!