Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dresden Table Topper

Banned
    Ohhhhhhhh Cissy, That is beautiful. Great work girl :D

Okay, Cissy--that is just gorgeous!! I love the fabrics-what line are they?? I agree with Mary-I love the randomness of your layout, too. Simpy smashing, my dear :D

How to quilt it. Hmmm....this is my weakness. I always freeze up at this point. I downloaded your picture and noticed that you used a blanket stitch to applique your dresden plates. So, to quilt it, I would just quilt in the ditch between each wedge. Also quilt around the center circle--not in the ditch, but just a tiny bit away from it (so it does not catch your blanket stitch. In the center I think Patsy's mom's suggestion of a spiral is a good one. I would quilt very close to--but not in the ditch-around the whole plate too. Then I would stipple the background. Like I said-this is my weakness. I am sure that others will have much better suggestions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    Gorgeous! The purple center is a great choice! Really makes the thing pop. I would quilt a spiral motif in the center, quilt a quarter inch inside the seams of each blade and then stipple the background or maybe just outline the leaves. No marking that way! :lol: But it is your quilt! Any way you decide to quilt it will look wonderful with such a pretty top to start out with!
    Thank you. I really like your quilting ideas. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    You did a great job!!

I have 12 dresden plate blocks that I've made and I was unsure what I wanted to do with them.

Table toppers are a great idea!!
    Thank you, Carol. They would make great gifts. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Okay, Cissy--that is just gorgeous!! I love the fabrics-what line are they?? I agree with Mary-I love the randomness of your layout, too. Simpy smashing, my dear :D

How to quilt it. Hmmm....this is my weakness. I always freeze up at this point. I downloaded your picture and noticed that you used a blanket stitch to applique your dresden plates. So, to quilt it, I would just quilt in the ditch between each wedge. Also quilt around the center circle--not in the ditch, but just a tiny bit away from it (so it does not catch your blanket stitch. In the center I think Patsy's mom's suggestion of a spiral is a good one. I would quilt very close to--but not in the ditch-around the whole plate too. Then I would stipple the background. Like I said-this is my weakness. I am sure that others will have much better suggestions!!!
    Thank you, Marcia. :D Most of the fabrics are from moda; pumpkins gone wild. I'm not sure what the others are. I don't usually go for such bold fabrics, but these really caught my eye.

Thanks for the nice compliments, everyone! :D

Beautiful! I've always like Dresden plates. Right now I'm working on re-doing some I bought on eBay. The piecing wasn't very accurate so they don't lay flat. But I did get a lot of what I think is vintage fabric. I'm having so much fun with the hand piecing that I got a Dresden template so I can do another project. Never thought I'd be that crazy about hand piecing but I find it's a good portable project to have on hand. Will come in handy when I visit with my daughter for a week after her baby is born.

Love the colors good for the fall..not sure what to say about the quilting....good luck on your choice!

Great table topper - love the colors.

I love the colors you chose! :) Very nice Cissy! :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast