Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dutch Bluework ...

Dutch Bluework ...

These bluework dutch blocks are hand stitched. I purchased them on line as a baby quilt. But, when I recieved the quilt, the blocks and the setting was way off!! I also felt the quilt colors went flat because there was only blue and white in the quilt.

I took it completely apart and squared up the blocks, and reworked the whole quilt adding the yellow and changing the whole thing around to what you see now.

I don't hink that I would have done this but the handwork really deserved what I did to it. I have a china dutch doll that I will dress to match and it will make a special gift to the next mom I owe a shower gift to. At least I hope so ... it still needs the quilting. But I like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Dutch bluework ...

Here is another view... Just a little closer to see the blocks and fabric better.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

You really did the blue work blocks justice, that yellow brings them out so well. May in Jersey

PS: Just saw the close up photos and now know why I liked the yellow fabric so much, I have a few yards of it myself intended for my basket quilt.

This is very nice!

Hi, I don't know if I don't know how to use the new site, but it looks like nobody has responded yet to your post! My post here is 2 fold! 1) I think the bright yellow really sets off your work! It is very very appealing! 2) Can you tell if it is so, nobody seems to be around anymore and all is quiet? Or have you received many responses and I am unable to find them? If I am not the first to reply, send me a PM and let me know how to find the responses to your post. Maybe then I can catch on to how this new format works! Thanks! KastleKitty
    KastleKitty

Absolutely beautiful. I love your yellow fabric with the blue--is it French fabric??? What an improvement---I can just picture the quilt in only blue and white, it screamed for a Zinger color !!!
    Congrats, Kutnso

Blog Entries
    These certainly don't look flat now! Blue and yellow are a favorite combo of mine and the bit of red adds some punch.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Very beautiful. I like what you did with adding the yellow, etc. It is lovely and will be a much treasured gift. Thank you for sharing.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Blog Entries
    This is why I wish I understood colour better- you have a great skill there, and a lovely quilt! I wonder if the original blue work maker will ever get to see it?
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnso View Post
    Absolutely beautiful. I love your yellow fabric with the blue--is it French fabric??? What an improvement---I can just picture the quilt in only blue and white, it screamed for a Zinger color !!!
    Congrats, Kutnso
    The yellow fabric is a Dan River that I have had for quite a while. I used to have a blue and yellow decorated home throughout. This is left over from the decor eleven years ago. Being the thrifty person I am. I had saved it. Now I am glad I did! LOL! As a matter of fact, I think the blue check polished cotton I still have will be the backing. LOL!
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast