Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: EXPENSIVE quilting /[b]the rest of the quilt[/b]

this is a shot of the $283.00 quilting I mentioned in chat today.

here's more of the quilt
    Attached Images Attached Images    

kathy did you sell this quilt for that much?

no sara i didn't sell it. that's what it cost me to have it quilted! it's a queen size 9 patch

wow are you for real. it's beautifully quilted.

love your quilt. and great colors

Kathy, where I live, Professional long arm quilters charge by the square inch. Last year it was 2 cents per square inch. Did she tell you she was going to charge in this manner?

I also know someone in Missouri who does beautiful hand quilting, and while you have to mail it, I don't think it would cost that much. If you are going to continue making quilts, you might want to look around for someone else who can quote you a better price.

I certainly would not laugh at you, but do feel some sympathy because the one person who does long arm quilting at a reasonable price is not very good. This has caused me to consider that I need to quit giving my money away and invest in quilting equipment to do my own. I have made a dozen tops in the past 10 months. I might slow down a bit if I do the quilting. Paying for these services can take the fun out of quilting.

I hope you do not give up on this wonderful hobby.

June

What a pretty price for a gorgeous quilt! That is beautiful quilting....besides..it's just money...you can always make more! 8) It is nice to reward yourself every now and then.

Blog Entries
    Kathy I am sorry that you are disappointed in the quilting after spending that much money on having it done. Quilting in the Heartland had a segment on hiring longarm quilters, they suggest that you show them your quilt and then ask them how they would quilt it. Also to get a quote up front on the actual quilting costs, and if there would be any additional charges for handling your quilt. I guess they can charge extra if they do not like how you pressed your seams or if your top is not quite square or numerous other issues. I do not think you are alone in this situation, it sounded like many others have walked in your shoes. This is where I do not enjoy learning from others experiences. :(

I'm sorry, Kathy! I did not mean to sound insensitive to the situation. I had no idea you weren't happy with the quilting. Either somehow I missed that or if you discussed it in chat today, I did miss it.

oh kathy, i'm sorry to (i didn't relize if you where happy or not happy. i don't know.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast