Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Eye Candy - Four Old Quilts >

Eye Candy - Four Old Quilts

Eye Candy - Four Old Quilts

Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 PM

These are quilts which were given to the museum. I get a lot of interesting quilts through out the year, and even old tops. Those that come in on consignment and others which were not accepted for inclusion in the permanent collection and are now to be sold in the shop. These particular quilts are from a collector who is down sizing.She is not a quilter herself but she collects them and for her it is the thrill of the hunt which she loves. Two of them were bought today by another collector. They date to the mid 1800s and one had hand dyed borders (the red and green) and one had old neon fabric. Another donation of tops came in from the daughter of a 90 year old quilter. Her mother made 30 finished quilts for each daughter and these were tops which they did not want to try and get finished. Another bag was full of old pieced blocks (UFOs) and there was a hand written note that the makers did 12 to 14 stitches to the inch! The stories and pieces are interesting and I just thought you might like to see some old ones.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 PM

Wow......each one unique and so very special. Thanks for the eye candy!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
These are quilts which were given to the museum. I get a lot of interesting quilts through out the year, and even old tops. Those that come in on consignment and others which were not accepted for inclusion in the permanent collection and are now to be sold in the shop. These particular quilts are from a collector who is down sizing.She is not a quilter herself but she collects them and for her it is the thrill of the hunt which she loves. Two of them were bought today by another collector. They date to the mid 1800s and one had hand dyed borders (the red and green) and one had old neon fabric. Another donation of tops came in from the daughter of a 90 year old quilter. Her mother made 30 finished quilts for each daughter and these were tops which they did not want to try and get finished. Another bag was full of old pieced blocks (UFOs) and there was a hand written note that the makers did 12 to 14 stitches to the inch! The stories and pieces are interesting and I just thought you might like to see some old ones.
Thanks for the info. I hope all those UFO's and extra blocks get made into something beautiful and/or useful. I know there are many that would be willing to work at that.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilts
Old 05-22-2015, 02:59 PM

The two quilts headed to a new home in Utah are the first one pictured (red and green probably made in PA) and the feathered star which was my favorite. If it is OK I would love to show pictures of old quilts and pieces now and then forthose who might enjoy seeing them.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Thanks for the info. I hope all those UFO's and extra blocks get made into something beautiful and/or useful. I know there are many that would be willing to work at that.
I want to add my thanks to you, also, for providing this information.....What treasures you have! It was most generous of you to share them with us......I, personally, have four very old quilts that were done by my early ancestors. I like to just rub my hand over them and swear I can feel the energy of the ladies that worked on them.....LOL! Dumb or not, that's the way I feel.....treasures for me.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I love the stories. Can you imagine 30 quilts for each daughter! OMG!
It made me wonder if in a hundred or 2 hundred years someone will marvel at my machine pieced and machine quilted attempts. Gosh! I would love to have one of those unloved UFO's. You've give me so much to think about tonight as I stitch up another one for my son. Thanks so very much!