Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Fabric I bought on Hawaii trip >

Fabric I bought on Hawaii trip

Fabric I bought on Hawaii trip

Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM

I just love it. I'm so jealous, I haven't been there in a few years. Love to go quilt shopping there. there fab is so different
Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 PM

I love bark cloth too but don't know how to describe it other than it's thick and I used it for pillows, aprons and things like that. But I am highly allergic to it so Bluelady, be very careful when using it. I don't know why that particular fabric makes my skin react and erupts with pimple/mosquito like spots and then huge welts thereafter.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
My boss is going to Hawaii for a conference, and he owes me big time ATM, the conference is on Oahu, any addresses or shops that are cannot miss? - he has promised me some fabric
There are a couple of Fabric Marts in Honolulu. Worth a visit! Most of the Hawaiian fabric is on rolls, instead of bolts, so there are no "permanent" creases running down the middle of the fabric. Lots of beautiful bark cloth and other Hawaiian prints there. I went to the one on Kalakaua Ave. They have a web site, http://fmart.com. Although the web site says the bark cloth is for upholstery or drapes, it will make beautiful quilts. It isn't that heavy, unless you get the heavy upholstery stuff. The bark cloth I bought was under $5 a yard.
The three rows of right to your right as you walk in are the most spectacular, most Hawaiian. All standing upright on rolls, the owner (manager?)constantly rearranging and putting back on the posts. Very helpful man.
If your boss goes to that store, tell him not to bother going upstairs. The bolts up there were nothing special.
Kamaiki Dry Goods was another quilt store I went to in Honolulu. Beautiful store, many many bolts of fabric, but 95 percent is stuff I find at quilt stores here and the prices there were a bit higher than here at a LQS.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Ohhhhhh, I am insanely jealous!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
What is bark cloth? Is that kinda like batiks?

I LOVE the prints. :thumbup:
That was going to be my question too. Never heard of it before. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years stationed there with my husband and the USCG. I wasn't quilting then and boy am I sorry. Look at all that I missed. I remember my husband brought me home a piece of batik from Tonga and I asked it what I was supposed to do with it. It was gorgeous but I had no idea what to do with it and gave it away. Today I would do anything just to have it here to put in a quilt. Wow, the dumb dumb days !!!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:46 PM

Lucky you! For both the fabric and the trip!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:48 PM

I also bought at the same stores you did! I did like the fact that FabricMart had the fabric on rolls instead of the bolts. I looked at the bark cloth, but had already a large selection and just could not get that. I agree with the Dry Goods store, though I did get some Asian/Oriental fabric that was unique.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Great Fabric! You are going to have a great time with it, can't wait to see your projects you make with it.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Beautiful fabrics. I would have to ship my purchases home as I know I would go bonkers for their fabric.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Those are beautiful fabrics. My DH spent 20 years in the Army and we never got to go to Hawaii. It is the only place in the world I really wanted to see.