Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
FFC -- One FQ:  "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c >

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Yesssssssssss ... the Energizer Bunny is back!!

Great job on those blocks, MiraB ... your applique looks so perfect on the edges
Now do tell us how to get those 30 hr days!

JanRN ... they do look luscious, don't they! Now how did I miss out on your candies!

MaryK ... Totally agree!!! Just to do a bit of stitching always seems to balance my attitude a tad and make life seem a little better. I have a friend that has come to "know" when I have not been sewing and tells me that I need to do some. Am I that miserable when I miss a few days? Geesh! Your bear is one handsome guy ... water is neat. How about some Northern Ontario rocks sticking out of the water .... and maybe a rock cut behind with the odd tree sticking out ... Group of Seven'ish like? Guess I will just have to wait and see what wonders you do create!!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 AM

My scraps are finally breeding thanks to Aussie fertilizer Will show you what I'm talking about as soon as I finished this project. Working on the last border but that will take a while before it's finished! Lots of cutting to do
Old 07-26-2014, 02:18 AM

Only the best fertilizer will do Anael enjoy the cutting, geesh what a friend she could have cut them for you
Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 AM

Yes she could have as she has a 30 hours day And she knows the measurements too!!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

But the real question is.........
Did that friend send you any of the fertilizer to make your stash and scraps grow so prolific as hers does?
Or the secret to her 30 hr days?

Geesh!!!!!! SOME friend!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Someone asked "what are shot cottons". It is a woven cotton where the warp and the weft are made of two different colors. Most shots have two different tones of the same color, but some have contrasting colors (a good example is Kaffe Fasset's color "Galvanized" which is a teal blue with a copper orange). When you look at shots they look one color one way, and other in the other direction. So even though it's a "solid" I will have to handle them as a directional print (at least on the same block, from block to block I won't care) or the colors will appear wrong.

Just to let you all know it's going to be a while before I start cutting and sewing. I have a LOT of planning to do. I've already designed the rough layout for a King size quilt (using all the blocks in a medallion layout with a good amount of negative space, and the triangle border), but I want to plan the specific placement of each block and the color of each block. The placement will be based on the amount of "color" vs "background" each block shows as well as the design, and once I have that figured out I'll color each of the blocks in my palette.

In the mean time ... I am certainly enjoying the progress all of you are making!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:03 AM

MiraB ... I love the pink and brown combination. It has an instant "antique" look (and I mean that in the most complimentary way!)

MaryK ... Scrappy was my second choice for my DJ and I have a huge stash to support it. Also .. the bear is cool. Can't wait to see you do your thread painting magic with him.

I'm actually having a sewing day today. No ... not DJ. I want (NEED) to finish the buckeye beauty (scrappy) that I've been working on. 24 more blocks to finish, then attach, then the borders ... then figure how (and who) to quilt it. It's a king size so no way I'm going to attempt it on my domestic and my long arm is only 72" across.

Off to the cutting table!!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
But the real question is.........
Did that friend send you any of the fertilizer to make your stash and scraps grow so prolific as hers does?
Or the secret to her 30 hr days?

Geesh!!!!!! SOME friend!
Neither......... Guess she doesn't want to reveal the 30 hr days secret
I could use some stash growing fertilizer
Old 07-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Neither......... Guess she doesn't want to reveal the 30 hr days secret
I could use some stash growing fertilizer
D: Some people just do not share well!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:44 PM

I almost feel sorry for our Aussie friend

But I have to admit I'm very happy with my strips, even if the fertilizer isn't working in our cooler climate