Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally did the Jelly Roll Race

Finally did the Jelly Roll Race

Jelly Roll Race

I did my quilt slightly differently, as I didn't have a Jelly Roll. I cut four 2.5" x WOF strips from 11 different fabrics (44 total pieces), so my quilt ended up wider since I had 4 extra strips- it is about 60 in x 60 in.

One thing I noticed most tutorials tell you to do is to make sure that your super long beginning strip is not twisted. There is NO need to do this. Just make sure the fabric approaching the needle is not twisted- the twist will go to the end (where mine was SUPER twisted) but you have to cut that anyway, then the twist disappears once you make the cut.

I did this top in under 3 hours- from cutting the strips, to sewing together the giant strip, to assembling the top.

Blog Entries
    I really like that. Very Pretty. Will have to try a race. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Would it matter if all of the strips were not the same length? Seems like a good way to use up those extra inches left after cutting quilts, and sometimes they don't go full WOF, as when border pieces were cut longwise. As long as it is adjusted so none of the seams hit too close to the end cut, it feels like it would work.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Very pretty. You did a very good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Would it matter if all of the strips were not the same length? Seems like a good way to use up those extra inches left after cutting quilts, and sometimes they don't go full WOF, as when border pieces were cut longwise. As long as it is adjusted so none of the seams hit too close to the end cut, it feels like it would work.
    No, I don't think it should matter at all, you'll just get a bit of a different look, but the construction technique could definetly still be used. I have a few that are less than an inch long at the end...I assume they'll get hidden in the binding, so I don't even think your comment on the seams matters too much (it would be really hard to adjust for that, so I just wouldn't even think about it. Maybe you could trim them off when you square up if it bothers you).

I want my next one to be longer, so I will probably use 3.5" width strips.

I like that it is wider, so I am glad I used a few extra strips.

This would be a great scrap project- just sewing a big long strip of whatever you have.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-21-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Nice look. Thanks for the tips
    Home is where the heart is, and a few scrappy quilts.

Very pretty! I am going to try this also, but cut my strips into some shorter pieces. It would also be a great scrappy quilt.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I did my first quilt exactly like the directions said. It turned out great and was fun. My quilt ministry makes baby quilts so we experimented and made the quilt using only half the strips...so can make two quilts from one jelly roll. The next quilt was made using 5 inch strips and only ten of them. It also looked great.

Power Poster
    Very nice. I made one a while back and it is at the quilter now. Fun to do but isn't it amazing how long that first seam is and takes forever. But really like the end results. Who thinks of these wonderful projects, especially when you can finish a quilt in an afternoon or evening?

Blog Entries
    the technique is very interesting. makes for a lovely quilt
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast