Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finished DGG's Quilt Today :-) >

Finished DGG's Quilt Today :-)

Finished DGG's Quilt Today :-)

Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 PM

For not knowing where to start, you sure figured it out well. She's gonna love it. Your work is unique.... I love it.
Thanks for sharing. SewDarnBusy

Last edited by sewdarnbusy; 08-10-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: forgot to sign it.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

You did a really fine job with this quilt. The leaves you quilted and the 3 D butterflies are good touches. I bet she loves it. Like you, I think a step grandchild needs to be welcomed enthusiastically and a wonderful quilt is an excellent way to do it.
You say you have trouble with biases. Do you sew across 2 square then cut to get your HST's? If not, try it, it will reduce the bias difficulty to almost nothing.

Last edited by QM; 08-10-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 AM

beautiful quilt.
A perfect quilt for a granddaughter.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
You did a really fine job with this quilt. The leaves you quilted and the 3 D butterflies are good touches. I bet she loves it. Like you, I think a step grandchild needs to be welcomed enthusiastically and a wonderful quilt is an excellent way to do it.
You say you have trouble with biases. Do you sew across 2 square then cut to get your HST's? If not, try it, it will reduce the bias difficulty to almost nothing.
I've learned to starch the poop out my fabric before starting anything with biases and that seems to work. One of the courses I'm taking had me try it your way, but I like starching it. It's sort of like working with cardboard, but it gets the job done! :-) Thank you for your suggestion! I may try it again in future.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Very sweet!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 PM

i love the leaf/ivy quilting. it adds so much to the flower and butterfly theme.

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts View Post
I needed a quilt for a little girl around 5 or 6 years old and didn't know where to start. This little girl is a step-great granddaughter & I haven't met her yet, but am looking forward to it! :-) I got the inspiration to try pinwheels because I have such troubles with bias edges & wanted some practice. I made the pinwheels, put a yellow frame around them, sashed them with white. Then I decided to add some applique flowers at the cross-roads with leaves like the flowers in the lighter blades. I found some feather cornices which I FM'd in the corners of each of the yellow frame corners. I stenciled leaves & vines through the sashing & around the border, then did some paint for stamens & the antennae for the butterflies.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM

I was a step granddaughter. My father never called me his step child and my grandparents never called me their step grandchild. When my cousin died at 88 several people asked who I was and when I said I was dad's daughter, Jo Ann, they said "Oh, but he only had two children." My dad was so upset and said no one will ever say that again, I will adopt you. I was adopted at 37 years of age. Oh how I loved my dad. I lost my birth dad when I was about 22 and my mom remarried when I was 12 so my step dad was my day most of my life and I always thought of him as my dad. He died in 1993 and my mom in 1988 and I still miss them. I hope your step great granddaughter can become your great granddaughter one day. God bless.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 AM

What a beautiful quilt. You did a good job. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I was a step granddaughter. My father never called me his step child and my grandparents never called me their step grandchild. When my cousin died at 88 several people asked who I was and when I said I was dad's daughter, Jo Ann, they said "Oh, but he only had two children." My dad was so upset and said no one will ever say that again, I will adopt you. I was adopted at 37 years of age. Oh how I loved my dad. I lost my birth dad when I was about 22 and my mom remarried when I was 12 so my step dad was my day most of my life and I always thought of him as my dad. He died in 1993 and my mom in 1988 and I still miss them. I hope your step great granddaughter can become your great granddaughter one day. God bless.
I only called her my step great grand so folks would understand why I haven't met her yet. Actually, haven't met her mom yet, either. My youngest daughter has 11 kids, hers, his & theirs. I do think of her as my great granddaughter which is why she's getting the quilt. I treat all our kids equally be they blood or otherwise linked. They're all good kids and we're proud of them all.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM

beautiful.. she will love it.... you did a great job