I won our guild's block raffle sometime last year: Block instructions are posted in our newsletter, and whoever wants to try the block brings one to the next meeting. Everyone that contributes a block gets their name in the hat, and one person takes home all the blocks.
This block is a variation on the d9p. It took me a long time to come up with a way to turn the blocks into a quilt that I liked. But when I added the little stars in the sashing, I was really happy. It seemed kind of patriotic, with all the blues and the white, but I didn't really like any red that I tried to add to the top. So, I used a lot of red in the backing. Best thing was, I didn't buy any new fabric to complete this!