Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Finished Quilt!!!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Good advice above on what to charge - don't undersell yourself!

K x

I agree with mpspeedy, triple what you actually spent to make it. Looks like you invested a lot of time with all the piecing.

I agree do not cheat yourself my MIL sold her quilts too cheap.

Izy
    Your quilt and pillow set is adorable :D

I am sure your friend will appreciate your hard work but ONLY you can decide what it means to you and how much money will compensate you to part with it.

Realistically we can never recoup the time and effort that we put into a quilt in monetary terms, as this would add up to 100's of $$.

I am happy if I can recoup the costs and a small amount to respect the amount of effort, more than the actual hours I have put into each quit, as I consider doing this a pleasant pass time ,although granted hardwork :D :D :D

I must agree with Izy's thoughts. The costing for something handmade is always difficult because one usually puts a lot of one's self into the project. None of us is cheap labour.

Your projects look like you put considerable effort into the making. Good job!

Beautiful. What a great job you did finishing that. Love the pattern.

doubling the cost of the materials does not pay you a reasonable amount per hour. your skill is worth more than minimum wage. figure out how many hours it takes and what your bottom dollar is per hour. add the cost of the materials. that's your baseline. you can make more money on small items because of the speed of the project.

what to charge depends a lot on where you sell. a double bed sized quilt of your quality in new york city in a quaint little store in an upscale area, for example, would cost in excess of $800. in a more modest area (say, a small town like mine) but still a suburb of nyc, it would sell for more than $500. in a working neighborhood, where people budget money to live comfortably, i don't know if it would sell at all. the garbage from china would be good enough. they really don't understand the difference.

if you seriously want to sell, find out how to do it in a tourist area or an upscale area. if you have to give a store a cut, build that into the price. think about running an ad in a newspaper geared to the "right" people.
    have them call you for details re: size, colors, amount of quilting, etc. then you can give an estimate. think like a businesswoman. when you buy something you pay full value, right? you should get full value also. fair is fair.

please don't work for nothing. you'll just aggravate yourself.

i forgot to say have a good sample of your work to show them. when they see it, they will want it. neutral tones. very classy.

Cool beans!!! Awesome job!!

I want to thank you all for your precious thoughts. I made this quilt out of love and she will not be charged at all. I am just wanting an idea what to tell her friends when they say they would like one. All your comments have been so helpful in more ways than one. I am continueing to work on several other quilts for love and when finished I will post them as well. This site has been a God send to me. You all are so wonderful.
    Once again Thank you!

MissTami :oops:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2