Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: first mini and lots of ????? about PP

So far I avoided each pattern calling for pp and now I wanted to make a mini and I had to go with pp and boah.......its fun.
    Sadly my blocks ended up 1 3/8" instead of 1 1/2" so I will have to add a border to get to the finished 6".

So for all making minis: where do you get the patterns? How do you get the paper off and do you go with 1/4" seam allowance?
    I had the problem that my work tended to slip to the left under the presserfoot going over bulks of seams. How do you avoid that?

And most important: do you do patterns with more than two colors? With this tiny pieces I was afraid that one cant see the piecing unless one goes with two contrasting colors. Would be a shame for all of the work

Would love to hear from experienced mini makers.
    Granny
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    very cute, thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    WOW!! :thumbup: Your mini is gorgeous!! I jut love it & you have done such a wonderful job making it, too!! :D I haven't attempted a mini yet, so I can't help you with a pattern. I just wanted to tell you how pretty it is!!
    :D :D :D :D

I love PP but really have to shorten the stitch makes getting the paper off easier.

I did read about the short stitchlength and went for it - lot of fun when I had to undue a seam!? So I attached the blocks with a very big stitch first and when everything looked ok I went for the tiny stitches.

i am working on a mini storm at sea... some of the pieces are 1/4" x 1/2"...i am using a little bit larger than 1/4" seam for basting (it is just easier for me) but i am hand stitching these. i can not even imagine doing such tiny piecing by machine, my machine would eat them for a snack.
    i am working on mine the english paper piecing technique, where you hand stitch the fabrics around the templates then piece them together. not far enough on this one to show a pic though...maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by granny_59
    I did read about the short stitchlength and went for it - lot of fun when I had to undue a seam!? So I attached the blocks with a very big stitch first and when everything looked ok I went for the tiny stitches.
    Been there! I like to pp, but get soooo aggravated when I have to rip the tinies. Oh well. :)

You did a great job on your first PP mini
    I love mini's & pp! A shorter seam really works best.

With the paper it is no problem and nothing gets eaten up. I cant imagine to this by hand..........

Do you have any idea what I should put into the search function to find pics from other minis. Didnt find much yet.

Blog Entries
    To tiny for me to even try. But I love what you did.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast