Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First Quilt EVER! >

First Quilt EVER!

First Quilt EVER!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 AM

Red face First Quilt EVER!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424343[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]424344[/ATTACH]

I bounced about on here back in March and April but haven't been on much. I actually finished this quilt in April and honestly I needed a small break from quilting after. Then when I was rested up, if I came back on here I'd just want to go buy more fabric and do another and I cannot afford to quilt as much as I'd like. lol.

This took FOREVER being a first quilt. It's 40/45x60 (I think...I can't remember and it's already with my niece) and intended as wall decor or simply something to lay out on the floor for my baby Niece to chill out on. It's nowhere near as well crafted as I want it to be but I am endlessly proud of it at the same time. Just don't get up close and look at the stitches hahaha.

I would have to say that the majority of my time spent on this quilt was actually ripping out stitches. And I'm never using the pink fabric again because it was flannel to be honest and it was so tough to deal with because it warped every time I handled it. It just was not a strong fabric at all. But it was the look I wanted and the color is amazing. I hope it holds up well with repeated washing. (I did prewash all fabrics.) And that's a satin border for Ava to rub in her little fingers. This was like a crash course in sewing and quilting. But thankfully my relatives are easily impressed by crafty things so even my pitiful attempt is incredible to them and that works out for everyone. Haha. I'm really worried they're going to be too gentle with it when I want them to just forget about it and not make it precious.

The pattern is based off of Birthday Cake. I just adjusted for the size of the batting I already had purchased. I really encourage you to check out the pattern because I used only 3 fabrics where the designer used several more and it looks great. I would have liked to use at least one or two more fabrics in mine but the fabric store is a long way away and I ended up over near there without the pattern even and just picked out the basic colors I knew would work together to make it. And it does look great in her room, which is a coral pink that is so pretty you could eat it. I did a good job of guessing how much fabric I would need because I had absolutely none left over.

I just stitched in the Ditch because I didn't want to try free motion and mess it up. I didn't have enough materials to practice freemotion until I got the thread tension right. Next time, however, the goal is to get the darn thing to be nice and flat and not have puffy sections (which are largely the fault of the pink fabric warping and getting off square). Given more time and patience I might have fixed that on this one but as it was I finished this at 5am the morning of the baby shower...that I was also hosting. Haha.

My next project will hopefully be a TARDIS quilt for my Whovian best friend who is getting married in October. Here's a link to what I'm probably going to go for [x]. I definitely want to freemotion that one.

OOOH OOOH I forgot to tell you! The best part is that the brown fabric is sprinkles on chocolate print! So it really is like icing on birthday cake! XP
Attached Thumbnails tumblr_mljqth45bs1qlaoe8o1_500.jpg   tumblr_mljqth45bs1qlaoe8o2_500.jpg  

Last edited by SeekerCranny; 07-17-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424347[/ATTACH] closeup of fabric
Attached Thumbnails tumblr_mjqa1xs0up1qlaoe8o1_500.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 AM

I love your choice of fabrics!! I don't do well with scrappy, so this would be good for me to try. And your SITD was a good choice also. Actually it's still all I can do except cross-hatching. I've never worked with flannel. You did a great job.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 AM

looks like you did a great job to me :-) And its all ready being hugged and cuddled what more can a quilter ask for Happy Quilting
Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 AM

really nice! only you, knows the flaws. I think it is perfect and intended to be the way it looks! Congratulation!

time consuming you said??? first quilt or tenth, it seems to me that they are all time-consuming!
yes! and only quilters know. non-quilters will never imagine how much time we take Oh! they think they can guess but really....

Welcome in the quilting world.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:22 AM

Hahaha I think this was time consuming even for a quilt but you're right Helou, non-quilters will never understand the true time and effort. Thanks for the comments! And I don't recommend flannel unless it passes a stretch test so you know it doesn't warp easily. haha. You all make me feel so proud!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 AM

I love your design choice. Your story made me smile. You are a wonderful aunt and the quilt is perfect!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

great job for a first quilt!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 AM

Very nice first quilt and you can only get better with practice - congratulations
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 AM

Congrats on your very first quilt, you did great! Love your colors.