Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Feather Practice

Blog Entries

First Time Feather Practice

Well as my grandma used to say "In for a penny, in for a pound" I have been practicing my feathers on my dry erase board for like 3 months now. And got pretty good at them, so decided to take myself to the long arm and see what I can do. Note to self: It really isnt the same thing using a pen vs using a machine. But that is ok, now I will just practice on fabric.

I bought a yard of material for backing, and used some scraps for the runners. Just loaded one at a time, stitched it down then went to town. Apparently circles are the hardest types of feathers to do. Guess I am a horrible over achiever I went right for the circles... But will note, I am inherently lazy, so if circles are the hardest, if I practice them first and get really good at them...then straight lines will be a cinch. Saves time Or I am just a glutton for punishment!

Not sure what I am going to do with them.....lol...probably give the blue/green ones away, the orange one had too many issues to share with anyone. So might just use it for the cat's feeding area cause he is such a mess.

Anyhow, here they are. I had some tone on tone circles sewn on the blocks to give a guide. You can barely see it, but they are there.
    This is the first one, very first time on feathers....not great but there are a few petals that are good.
    Name:  IMG_0625_zps7c180d34.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  68.7 KB
    This is the second one, the feathers are getting better (tension too) more good petals.
    Name:  IMG_0623_zpsa0c9fe30.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  65.9 KB
    And this is the last one, more continuity in the good petals, still some issues, but getting better.
    Name:  IMG_0624_zpscff87293.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  76.1 KB
    And this is the backing....was a bear to find backing with all the border colors, but I did manage it.
    Name:  IMG_0626_zpsfa4a459b.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  68.4 KB
    And lastly, my quilt inspector. Keegan thinks he needs a quilted bed for my long arm table not just a piece of scrap tossed in a corner he sulked there for hours, so guess that is next on the project list. Will practice more feathers though!
    Name:  IMG_06181_zps638c9b87.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  56.8 KB

Blog Entries
    You should be proud of the accomplishments you have made in such a short time. I know I am proud of you. HUGS keep up the good work sweetie
    "Greater is He that is in me, then he that is in the world"

www.dollsforverysickkids.com

Blog Entries
    First feathers or not.....you are doing great! You will only get better with each project!

Blog Entries
    You did great first time out.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I would love to have a machine and practice and would hope to be as good as you on the first time out. That paper and pen must have been a great idea.

Awesome job, keep up the good work ! ! !
    Quilting is my crack cocaine!

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY

Love your determination, great job.

Wow , Impressive progress!! It's looking good!

KUDOs to you for your work. I think feathers is one of the hardest to master and it appears you are off to a great start.
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast