Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 133

Thread: Fixing a Lone Star Gone Wrong

  1. #1
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,394
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is an update to a call for help I made a week or more ago. I've been working on a lonestar quilt for a couple of years-- I put it away a couple of years ago because I ran into a problem. I didn't realize it at the time, but have subsequently learned that I did not cut my diagonal strips wide enough. As a result the "side arms" of my pieced diamond shapes did not line up. I tried a variety of fixes, including blocking and starching, but the difference between desired shape and reality was too much-- I've learned that if your block is over 1/2 or 3/4" off, it's pretty impossible to block to the right size.

    But Peg proposed a solution that did work; it offers a different look, but is at least better than throwing the whole thing in the fire, which was darn tempting!

    I post here the before and after photos. There's one more mistake (two actually) that I have to fix; can you identify it? (Sigh...)

    I still have more to do to finish the top, but wanted to show you what I've done so far.

    Thanks again, Peg.

    Status of the quilt 2 years ago when I first realized it had gone wrong
    Name:  Attachment-138654.jpe
Views: 158
Size:  61.7 KB

    After taking the pieced stars apart, I created this image to show where the problems were
    Name:  Attachment-138655.jpe
Views: 276
Size:  37.2 KB

    This is the proposed solution by Peg
    Name:  Attachment-138656.jpe
Views: 119
Size:  36.8 KB

    And this is the execution of Peg's advice
    Name:  Attachment-139381.jpe
Views: 180
Size:  40.5 KB

  2. #2
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,303
    That looks pretty darn flat to me.

    Don't you feel good that you stuck it out and fixed it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

  3. #3
    Junior Member sinceresissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    155
    Good fix. Very ingenious. I hope the next boo boo is the two squares are backwards which is easy to fix.

  4. #4
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,369
    Good solution!

  5. #5
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Washington
    Posts
    19,948
    Looks like a great fix to me! Pretty colors too~

  6. #6
    Super Member suezquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cashton WI
    Posts
    1,149
    Before you sew the diamonds together it is best to square up them. My girlfriend made me a template for this.
    then you can sew them together.
    I have made several of these. Squaring up keeps the bump in the middle away.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison,TN
    Posts
    340
    Beautiful between 2 of you a new pattern was born

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    6,860
    You go girl. It's going to be beautiful.

  9. #9
    Power Poster MamaBear61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milverton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    13,236
    Great fix, you did a wonderful job.

  10. #10
    Super Member frauhahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chelsea, MI
    Posts
    2,250
    Peg must be a genius!! Looks beautiful!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.