Just finished my first flannel quilt! This was the first time for sewing curves, using leftover blocks for a pieced back, and using flannel front and back. Made up the pattern as I went. Had bought a layer cake of Wool and Needle II flannel to make the blocks and picked up some extra yardage to make the piano key border. Used Pellon Legacy 100% cotton for batting and FMQ'd in each block and doodled in the piano border. FMQ was a little tougher than I thought it would be since the whole thing was kind of heavy and didn't slide around real easy. Used Elmer's glue to baste the layers. Used a topstitch 14 needle per suggestion of the QB and that seemed to take care of some of the thread breakage I had when using a regular 14 needle.
I did not wash and dry any of the material before I started so was a little apprehensive but I put it in the washer with cold water, let it sit for an hour, spun dry and tossed it in the dryer. Of course, I said a big prayer! Only shrunk 1 inch on all 4 sides so I was thrilled that it turned out so well!
Schools are closed again in Minnesota today due to extreme cold and windchills and I don't work until Wednesday so finishing this quit was timely! Bring it on, Mother Nature--I'm ready for ya!