Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
FMQ advice >

FMQ advice

FMQ advice

Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I think for a beginner, you did a great job. No one knows how hard it is until you try it. Luckily, the more you do it, the easier it gets.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone. So what I am gathering it is suppose to generally be further apart and curvy I guess? How far apart should I aim for? I tend to get carried away and over do everything. Thank you so much for all the suggestions.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 PM

How close together you make your lines of stitching will depend on how you want your finished quilt to be -- really close together will result in a stiffer quilt; the farther apart your stitching lines are, the softer your quilt will be. The kind of batting you use will also determine how close your stitching lines need to be; check the instructions on the batting so you'll be sure to quilt it closely enough.

I've found that large meandering movements that kinda look like jigsaw puzzle pieces are the easiest for me to do. For me, a random pattern can cover up a lot; it's a lot easier to see my mistakes if I'm doing something with a noticeable pattern.

Like others have said, staying relaxed is important. If I find myself tensing up, I stop for a little bit and relax. It also helped me to draw on a piece of paper before I go to the machine so I can get the movements in my head, and I try to visualize where I'm going to go next before I actually get there (if that makes sense). Keep practicing and have fun!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Thanks everyone. So what I am gathering it is suppose to generally be further apart and curvy I guess? How far apart should I aim for? I tend to get carried away and over do everything. Thank you so much for all the suggestions.
Far apart and curvy could describe ME let alone my quilting! :lol: Another tip I just thought of, when doing meander, don't cross your lines. I try and visualise section by section how I'm going to work my way around an area to be quilted and make sure to leave myself an escape route. The main thing and perhaps the most boring is PRACTICE! When you come to start wanting to do more definite shapes and patterns, draw the design on scrap paper first, again and again and again. It really helps.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 AM

It helps me to do a practice square to warm myself up before starting on my quilt. Music of choice and relax, relax, relax and don't work so hard at it....enjoy the flow and movement. Try and not cross your lines....puzzle type pieces or just free flowing motions.....try and not be too angular but softer curves. You did great for your first try! Go to Leah's website....daystyle designs (I think) and you'll get a lot of tips, designs and helpful info.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
It helps me to do a practice square to warm myself up before starting on my quilt. Music of choice and relax, relax, relax and don't work so hard at it....enjoy the flow and movement. Try and not cross your lines....puzzle type pieces or just free flowing motions.....try and not be too angular but softer curves. You did great for your first try! Go to Leah's website....daystyle designs (I think) and you'll get a lot of tips, designs and helpful info.
Music is great. :-D I also sing to myself, which is maybe not so great! :shock: :lol: And if I'm doing hooky curves for example, at the curve I actually say outloud "cuuuuuurve" and at the point I sat "POINT!". It's OK, my family are used to me! :mrgreen: