Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FMQ-What am I doing wrong!!!?!!!

I had this happen to me. I would re-thread the machine, change needles, check the bobbin and lower the tension. Hope you find a solution, this is frustrating.
    When you feel like you are drowning in life, don't worry---
    Your Lifeguard walks on water.

Pat M.

adjust your top tension , i had the same problem with my new juli 2000 qi , finally i got it adjusted right, now i love. it .adjust a little at a time , then a little more , you'll get there. i had to do alot of picking out too , uck , good luck

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    Well..I had just finished doing a regular stitch around the squares themselves and you can actually see that in the pictures. It looked fine.

And then I switched to my darning foot, changed the tension and length. I will rethread my bobbin and get a new needle and set everything back...and see if it makes a difference. I have no idea how to change the tension in the top thread.

Ugh..it's just so frustrating. I'm trying to remember to breath....and take it slowly.

To change the tension in the top thread you need to twist your tension dial in the body of your machine. To adjust BOBBIN tension you have to turn a screw on the bobbin case. Something looks wonky with your top tension to me, but I'm a novice too.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    That happens to me when I forget to lower the pressure foot. Easy to take out. Good luck.

Sorry for you problem and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed night
    Ellen

Thats exactly what I was thinking...It's so easy to forget when you're using the darning foot. It can also be lint in the bobbin area or if your machine needs a little drop of oil in that area. Also be sure the bobbin thread is wound nice and tight, although you would probably see problems with straight stitch too. I have found that my Janome does require more top tension unless I'm using the blue dot bobbin case.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarie View Post
    That happens to me when I forget to lower the pressure foot. Easy to take out. Good luck.

I rewound my bobbin and put in a new needle and reset my tension. I tried it again on a left over practice piece. This time it looked much better. It would knot in areas where I would halt without stopping the machine and every now and then I would see a small loop of thread that looked like it didn't catch. But it didn't look nearly like it did early. So maybe I will try again tomorrow.

I've had this happen to me and it was the bobbin thread wasn't engaged with the tension spring. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't know how to fix that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast