Ah-h-h-h, SantaClaus finally finished our grandson's bug quilt. While I never had a pattern and just started putting things together, I was not sure this day would come. I have always wanted to make a bug quilt and as our grandson became more and more fascinated with bugs, I knew the time had come. This little guy (3 years) can follow an insect a quarter of a mile if we would let him.
The quilt preparation started last winter when I started collecting bug fabric from my Guild's free table or fat quarters here and there. Then I started received bits and pieces of fabric from my quilting friends. What a great bunch of gals!
At first, the quilt was only the six large jars and I did not like it. A friend told me, "Make some tall jars." But still I did not like it. Finally she said in her well-seasoned quilting voice, "Chop the jars in half and make squatty ones." That did it. I was beginning to love my blocks.
The next step was assembly--black would certainly look great but I did not have any in my stash. Coincidentally, the LQS was having a bolt sale and I came home with ten yards of black fabric! LOL
When all of this was organized, it seemed bland around the edges so I fuzzy cut some stuff and machine appliqued those little critters upon it.
I utilized cream colored thread for free motion machine quilting and was surprised when the thread disappeared upon the jars but appeared like spider webbing upon the black sashing, etc. What luck I have had with this quilt. Now if I were only a designer, I would have a great original pattern.
These two critters should have been at the top of the quilt but I was afraid little one might be scared of them when darkness of the bedroom came. Therefore, they landed at the bottom of the quilt.