Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gee's Bend Rooftop....quilted by Charisma

Blog Entries
    G sent me this quilt from the Jersey shore for LAQ>

The note enclosed says "It is meant to be irregular and scrappy with not so straight seems. The history of the pattern is from women slaves of a cotton plantation in Alabama. They make quilts from old clothes. My quilt is reminiscent of blue jeans, coveralls and T-shirts. " I also believe in our correspondence she told me this is a rooftop and the red square represents the chimney.

So in the red the quilting represents bricks...we had discussed just a wavy crosshatch sort of a grid to represent roof tiles or shingles....it wasn't looking right...This design I think represents the shingles...and matches the quilts piecing....they are like intertwined tiles...Very interesting quilt.

I quilted this freehand on my INNOVA. I used cotton batting.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Neat

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I like it :)

Very different, love the chimney. I would tend to reproduce them but do straight straight lines. Oh the quilt police have done a number on me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debcavan
    Very different, love the chimney. I would tend to reproduce them but do straight straight lines. Oh the quilt police have done a number on me.
    LOL> ME TOO! But it is because we are long arm quilters..quilting crooked seems goes against the grain....plus it doesn't gives us a lot of freedom to do what we want....this isn't easy to quilt.

So cool....I know about gee's bend quilts

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    Quote Originally Posted by debcavan
    LOL> ME TOO! But it is because we are long arm quilters..quilting crooked seems goes against the grain....plus it doesn't gives us a lot of freedom to do what we want....this isn't easy to quilt.
    Me three! No way would I make an intentionally out of square wonky quilt, especially since I started LAing. I equate trying to quilt an out of square quilt with herding cats. I have 5 cats so can vouch for their "un-herdability". :lol:

Blog Entries
    It's an expression....a piece of art. So sometimes we have to think outside of the box. We all have our own voice. It's a great piece.

I like it- beautiful quilt and wonderful quilting! I want to make one of these... I don't think it would be hard to make non-straight lines :-) :-) :-)

I love it..again..lol..!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast