Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Go Notre Dame! >

Go Notre Dame!

Go Notre Dame!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:07 PM

Default Go Notre Dame!

I just finished this top for a co-worker as a wedding gift. He, his family and his new bride are HUGE Notre Dame fans! I couldn't find any ND fabric so I improvised and decided on this block/colors. I wanted to give them a sophisticated style quilt and still maintain their love of ND. I normally probably wouldn't have chosen these colors together but I must say I love this quilt. Originally, I had planned to sew a large "ND" into the center of the quilt with 4 littler "Fighting Irish" men in the corners and their anniversary date in overlapping circles by using 3 different thread colors. The more I look at that idea on paper the more 'overdoing' it seems. I don't want to take away from the design itself because I really like how it turned out.

So, now I'm sending a shout out for suggestions. Emphasize the optical illusion circles that pop out from the blocks or quilt around the only in the gold (with ND's in the green center) to let the stars stand out?

Thanks for for stopping by. Happy quilting!

Last edited by fatsewcat; 10-05-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Great top! As for quilting on your sewing machine, do what designs you are good at. If you have a longarm, them something to emphasize the circles would be nice.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM

As a lifelong Notre Dame fan I would do the block ND in at least some of the center squares, perhaps in a green thread just a shade lighter or darker than the green material for a tone on tone effect, sophisticated and subtle, but still reinforcing the quilt's theme. Perhaps a diagonal line pattern-top left block to bottom right through the center (does that make sense?) I would also enhance the circle pattern. Beautiful quilt- what a great gift!!!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:51 PM

Love those Fighting Irish, I went to Texas A&M, both schools have great colors to quilt with. Your quilt is wonderful!
I think ND in alternating blocks & rows like this would be subtle & classy.

ND X ND X ND
X ND X ND X
I would use a gold metallic thread & thinly embroider the ND to make it pop. The circles have a life of their own due to the pattern & need no highlights. IMHO
hugs,
dj
Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
As a lifelong Notre Dame fan I would do the block ND in at least some of the center squares, perhaps in a green thread just a shade lighter or darker than the green material for a tone on tone effect, sophisticated and subtle, but still reinforcing the quilt's theme. Perhaps a diagonal line pattern-top left block to bottom right through the center (does that make sense?) I would also enhance the circle pattern. Beautiful quilt- what a great gift!!!
What she said!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 PM

That is really a neat quilt, I love the optical illusions. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions on embellishments, I love it the way it is.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 PM
QM
Power Poster

I don't think you need any suggestions. It's good as it is.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a LA so I would just stitch in the ditch. You made a cute quilt in the colors of Notre Dame.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate them. I think I am going to put the original ND in the center of the quilt then just stitch in the ditch around that. It will give me nice even quilting without taking anything away from the design itself.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

great quilt i also like notre dame!!