Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand dyed FQ's - 36 step gradiation >

Hand dyed FQ's - 36 step gradiation

Hand dyed FQ's - 36 step gradiation

Old 02-10-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Lilaciris

try using Retayne. it doesn't 'catch' the pigment. it re-absorbs it back into the fabric so you don't lose as much intensity.
But then won't I have to wash each of the FQ's separately?
i made a quilt with a lot of red and a lot of white that hadn't been washed. after it was finished i washed it in the machine, gentle, cold water with retayne. i had no red bleeding at all. i think if you use cold and gentle the retayne will do it. you can do same-values at one time if you're nervous. btw, will you always do 1/4's?
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try with the next batch.

My next project, I'm going to try doing a rainbow. That's only 12 colors and I have 3 yds. of 90" wide muslin left, so I'm thinking that I might be able to do double FQ's(18" X 44", instead of 18" x 22")

I'm definitely leaning towards doing some craft shows in my local area and I would love to do this 36-step gradiation with full yards. Thsn I could just cut them down into FQ's afterwards. The only problem with that is, this batch was done in gallon freezer bags and for full yards, I need something bigger. I'm thinking that I might be able to fit a full yard into a plastic coffee can, but I need to get more of those and maybe only do 6 colors at a time. Maybe in the future, I will have enough to do all 36 at one time.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 AM

I purchased some 2 gallon freezer bags at Aldi's last year. Maybe those would work for you...Fabric is terrific...
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 AM

I love your fabric and what an accomplisment. What type of dyes and fabric did you use?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
looking good, I love to dye my fabrics, what do you start with? I tried some white muslin, it doesn't come out real clear, has a muted / dulled color, but for some applications that's just what ya want.
I use PFD fabric. It has no treatment and takes the dye the best. I dyed some muslin earlier in the week and I ended up with a few spots where the dye didn't take. Then you have some white spots. Grrrrrrr............
Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
I knew you were in Clinton Twsp. You had mentioned you were dyeing them for the expo in WI. If you held classes in fabric dyeing, I'd be first in line to attend. Maybe online tutorial???
Wendy
I think it was me who was dyeing them for the Expo in Oshkosh, WI. I am teaching a "Marbled Table Runner" class where each student gets to pick his own yard of fabric and we make the table runner.

But, if you are close enough to Oshkosh and are interested in learning to dye the fabric, Diane Lapacek is teaching an all day class on it at the Expo.

Check out the details:

http://www.fvtc.edu/public/content.aspx?id=1801&pid=11

This Expo is March 19 and 20, 2010. It isn't a real big Expo but very nice. This will be the third year I have taught there.

Barb
Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 AM

try using Retayne. it doesn't 'catch' the pigment. it re-absorbs it back into the fabric so you don't lose as much intensity.
But then won't I have to wash each of the FQ's separately?
i made a quilt with a lot of red and a lot of white that hadn't been washed. after it was finished i washed it in the machine, gentle, cold water with retayne. i had no red bleeding at all. i think if you use cold and gentle the retayne will do it. you can do same-values at one time if you're nervous. btw, will you always do 1/4's?
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try with the next batch.

My next project, I'm going to try doing a rainbow. That's only 12 colors and I have 3 yds. of 90" wide muslin left, so I'm thinking that I might be able to do double FQ's(18" X 44", instead of 18" x 22")

I'm definitely leaning towards doing some craft shows in my local area and I would love to do this 36-step gradiation with full yards. Thsn I could just cut them down into FQ's afterwards. The only problem with that is, this batch was done in gallon freezer bags and for full yards, I need something bigger. I'm thinking that I might be able to fit a full yard into a plastic coffee can, but I need to get more of those and maybe only do 6 colors at a time. Maybe in the future, I will have enough to do all 36 at one time.
I have stacks of ice cream buckets. They are easy to store and easy to wash. You can do three yards per ice cream bucket easily. One yard works fine, too.

I also use a lot of the large flat tubs when I am doing variation dyeing. This is what I do the most of.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM

As you can see, I haven't read the forums for a couple of days. I dye a lot of fabric so this topic really interests me.

I don't teach it because Diane Lapacek, my sister, does and we often teach together; she always teachs the dyeing workshops so there is no reason for me to reinvent the wheel.

Paula Birch has the best information available already online. I use it a lot. It has everything you could possibly want to know about dyeing fabric. Her is the link

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtodye.shtml

How this helps some of you.

Barb
Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

Ooooo I LOVE your fabrics!!! They are beautiful!!!
Good Job :thumbup: :D:D:D