Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Quilting - yikes

the main thing i notice is the crooked lines, something i also do, even now after several quilts. The fixes for that are marking you quilting line by using the painters tape, marking with chalk, soap, marking pencil etc until you get really good at judging that 1/4" line out. i find that if i don't mark some quilting lines are 1/4" out and some are more like "in the ditch". I've just learned to use thimble and for years use my fingernails . The thimble is nice if you can get accustomed to one. i use one that pushes on the side versus the top. i do recommend getting the little piece of rubber you use to pull needle through if you load it with more than 2 stitches. i can load a #10 needle with 4-5 stitches which makes them more consistent in size and straighter than taking a new needle full every 2 stitches.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
    I'm not sure about this hand quilting thing. I'm not using a thimble (I don't have one yet) so that might be a factor. But, it's looks terrible!!

Attachment 343400

Attachment 343401
    keep at it! I have to quilt for about 3 hours before I feel that I have got the hang of it. I agree when it is your first hand quilting project I would use thread that matches. I would also look for videos on hand quilting to get some visual help.
    quilting with my dogs

You are doing fine for your first time. It takes practice to make the stitches smaller. Try the advice others have given and keep on going. Do not quit.
    Jojos Nana, Carol

looks good for a first attempt. i would work on getting smaller stitches and perhaps stitch in the ditch.; Don't give up!!!

Blog Entries
    I use a band-aid instead of a thimble. Works better for me and is not as clumsy as a thimble.

Hey, for a first time, it looks pretty darn good! If you're this good now, just think what you can become with practice. Like everything hard in life, you just have to practice, practice, practice! Good job, so far. You will be surprised by how good the outside blocks look when you finish this one quilt. Just try to maintain a constant 1/4 inch away from the seams. You are definitely getting there!

Blog Entries
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Yes, a thimble makes a difference as well as "rocking the needle" but most important--time and practice.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I give you a lot of credit for even attempting to quilt something this difficult. Remember practise makes perfect.

Blog Entries
    If you are a new quilter you are doing fine.
    You will get better with prctice. Buy a good thimble.
    Keep it going.

Blog Entries
    for your first attempt at hand quilting you did very well, it takes lots of practice, and I was told to just try at first to keep your stitches uniform.. Keep up the good work.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast