Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
hankie memorial quilt. >

hankie memorial quilt.

hankie memorial quilt.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM

YOur quilt is lovely. My mother passed away about 12 years ago . I did manage to get all of her hankys . I washed them all and pressed them and have them put away. I keep thinking I want to do a quilt top with them but not sure if I have enough. You have me thinking about it and I think I will go check to see what size quilt top I can make. Did you hand or machine stitch them to another fabric?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jigsymom
YOur quilt is lovely. My mother passed away about 12 years ago . I did manage to get all of her hankys . I washed them all and pressed them and have them put away. I keep thinking I want to do a quilt top with them but not sure if I have enough. You have me thinking about it and I think I will go check to see what size quilt top I can make. Did you hand or machine stitch them to another fabric?
I hand stitched them to block, and hand quilted the whole thing.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM

what beautiful work she did!!! I think it would make a lovely quilt to display her skill as well as yours.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks for replying. You really have a lovely quilt . I know you are proud of it.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM

So lovely you did a great job :thumbup:
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
last fall I asked for some ideas to make a memorial quilt out of my mother's hankies. This is what my sister wanted so hear is the finished quilt.
This is stunning and what a treasure. Now I wish I had kept some of my old hankies but once kleenex became popular, I didn't keep them. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
Your hanky quilt has given me an idea. My husband's mother had hand embroider a whole bunch of white pillowcases on the cuffs. These were beautiful and very detailed. I can't use them because she liked to wash them in bleach and ironed flat with starch. Old school style. She has passed away before I had met her. I don't want to get rid of them but I can't use them either because they smell and they don't feel very sturdy. I have four young boys who are very anti-girlie. I put them away until I can figure out what to do but since I saw your hanky quilt I think I might cut them up and sew them into quilts. Thank you for your inspiration.
Have you ever thought of making pillowcase dolls from these treasures? that way you wouldn't have to cut into that beauriful embroidery. You might check McCall's or Simplicity patterns...I think I've seen craft patterns for such dolls...Butterick patterns may even have them.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 AM

Gorgeous!!!!